Default NL10 - AKs unexpected river decision

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

BB: $10.15
UTG: $15.65
CO: $10
Hero (BTN): $12.40
SB: $6.45

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG calls $0.10, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.95) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.30</font>, UTG calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.55) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.60</font>, UTG calls $0.60

River: ($2.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="red">UTG raises to $11</font>, <font color="red">Hero ???</font>

I'd been playing with villain for a while, he seems pretty tight/passive not getting involved in a lot of hands. Stats read 14/3/1.1 over 240 hands

My first instinct was snap call, but I was playing a lot of tables and now I'm not so sure. Should I ever be laying this down? Did I play this hand horribly? Sorry if it's obvious
Old 11-28-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: NL10 - AKs unexpected river decision

I would bet more on flop, turn and river. As played, hmm, difficult one. Either he has been slowplaying a set (even Jacks) or he reads you as weak and wants to push you off your hand. I would probably still call though. Also raise a little more preflop to punish his set mining.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:51 PM

Bet more on flop, turn and river please your bet sizing is really really bad.

As played that river overbet/raise is really scary, especially given his stats, and since you already have the Kc a worse K is unlikely. Is he likely to play a flopped set this way ? I guess you showed so much weakness with your small bets that he didn't want to scare you, decided to slowplay and woke up on the river. Unless you've seen him overbet as a bluff before I think it's a fold.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:53 PM

I would bet bigger on the flop and turn.

Since he limp called from UTG, I think he could have 5's or 2's, but probably would have raised more with JJ. KJ could be in there, but if he's that tight I doubt it. He could just read you as weak and you missed your flush. I don't think I lay this down, but most of the time at this level if they bet it, they got it.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 PM

Strange decision.

If I was villain, I put you on the draw based on weak flop / turn bets. Probably AcXc. I give low chances to your having the K. But if villain thinks you have the busted draw, raising so big on the river is idiotic since he'll win the same amount if you did miss your draw, and will lose much more if you have a real hand.

Many players at this level will limp/call in EP with SCs and mid/low PPs. I think that 22, 55, maybe even 99/TT or something in that neighborhood make a big part of his range. And most will slowplay sets on flop, and turn. I think the overbet means real strength here. If I had the boat on this board I would raise and pray you had the K. I think this is a fold. You need to be good here somewhere near 40% of the time, and I don't know if we have that.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the input

I was experimenting with raising slightly smaller amounts but more often in position this session. I'd been playing very aggressively postflop; doing the same weak raise the same way from CO/BTN every time it was checked to me so I thought it'd be important to keep the same line this hand. I guess I just wanted to see how people would react to this type of play but I can see why it's bad. And yeah damn you're right my AcXc flush draw is pretty transparent. Bleh.

I can't see me being good here 40% of the time either against his stats so I think I'll grimace and fold if this ever happens again. At least it opened my eyes a little bit on dealing with this type of player. Anyway this is how it turned out

$24.95 Pot ($1.20 Rake)
UTG showed K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (a full house, Kings full of Jacks) and WON $23.75 (+$11.35 NET)
Hero showed K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (three of a kind, Kings) and LOST (-$12.40 NET)

Hope someone hits their flush next time he tries to slowplay that crap