Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Why am I always losing at poker?

There could be several reasons. Let's list them off:

1. The books I have read are total garbage and have taught me a losing strategy.

Possible but unlikely. The books I have read are highly recommended on this forum. A lot of players have read them and improved their play, ergo I am forced to assume that is not the cause

2. Internet poker is rigged

Almost impossible. Why would I be targeted for constant bad beats when the highest limit I play is .25/.50?? Bad beats happen live too, that's why bad players play, they have a chance to win no matter how bad they play

3. Incredible unending bad luck

Some bad luck yes....but no amount of random bad luck can explain this losing streak.

So we come down to it. Occam's razor. The simplest explanation is usually the correct one, and I have finally pinpointed it

4. I am a bad player that cannot overcome my lack of skill and will always be a losing player

This is the only explanation that fits. So what to do about it? I have been playing for 4 years, and over the first 3, I won some money. Over the last year, I have lost nearly 3/4 of my winnings (not all at once, slowly but surely). I am forced to recognize that I can no longer win and as such must quit. I have cashed out almost all money, leaving a bankroll for .02/.04 if and when I feel like losing again. I have guaranteed that I have made at least a small amount of money for all the time I have put in.

The decision has been made, and while it is painful to admit that I suck, well I suck and it's time to get out. Poker was fun at one time...but that time is long past.

Good luck and play well all, use the skills you have that I do not.

Shargaas
Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Why am I always losing at poker?

I think it is safe to remove #2 and #3.

#1 Never been a fan of books. I don't think poker can be learned by reading. Also even if we assume the books were good that doesn't mean the strategy they taught you were appropriate for the level you are playing.

I think that is the most likely answer. You are playing .25/.50 limit online. That isn't poker. That is bingo. My usual live game is 10-20 and 20-40. If I sat down at .25-.50 it would take me some time to adjust to the game. If I tried to play the same as I play 10-20 I'd lose. The problem is you read books to learn poker rather then understanding poker so you can't adjust and the strategies are for higher limits.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is safe to remove #2 and #3.

#1 Never been a fan of books. I don't think poker can be learned by reading. Also even if we assume the books were good that doesn't mean the strategy they taught you were appropriate for the level you are playing.

I think that is the most likely answer. You are playing .25/.50 limit online. That isn't poker. That is bingo. My usual live game is 10-20 and 20-40. If I sat down at .25-.50 it would take me some time to adjust to the game. If I tried to play the same as I play 10-20 I'd lose. The problem is you read books to learn poker rather then understanding poker so you can't adjust and the strategies are for higher limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't say he played limit, if that's what you mean
Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 PM

I only played limit. If I played no limit, I am sure I would have lost every penny in my bankroll.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only played limit. If I played no limit, I am sure I would have lost every penny in my bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you only play one game? Limit hold'em? Learn some other games. Maybe you suck at limit hold'em, but at the same time you might be the biggest talent in PLO, let's say. Playing just one game and saying you suck is ridicolous. Plus, you won money before, so you clearly don't suck.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:19 PM

It seems at one point that I could indeed win, but over the last 12 months, I have steadily lost, meaning that either the players are better, I have become a worse player, or a combination of both. The rate that I am losing is becoming alarming and as I iterated in my original post, the reason is my own lack of skills.

As for playing other games, I appreciate the suggestion and if I had any confidence at all, I might have tried other games, but I have read nothing on any other games and without understanding those games, I cannot risk losing more time and money.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:28 PM

I would also consider the possibility that it might be a concentration issue. At 0.25-0.50 can you actually remain interested in the game enough to stay focused?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:52 PM

The only certain way to tell that you suck is if you never understand whats going on at the table.

3 things:
- Getting in your opponent`s head.
This means understanding their thought process and strategy ( if any )
- Finding the weaknesses and flaws in their strategy.
- Finding a way to exploit those weaknesses.

If those 3 things don`t sound familiar to you then yeah...you probably suck but according to your posts I don`t think this is the case, you don`t sound like a sucker OR a typical loser who will blame everything on bad luck.

Poker is really like that saying "If you can`t find the sucker blah blah you are it blah blah".
Cliche I know but very true.

Table selection is everything.
If you can label a table "profitable" before you even sit on it means you understand the 3 things I mentioned and you already have a plan on how you gonna pimp the suckers. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 06:16 PM

He is playing 0.25-0.50 limit. There is nothing going on in his opponent's head and they have no strategy.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He is playing 0.25-0.50 limit. There is nothing going on in his opponent's head and they have no strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Only way is to play profitable hands, and simply outplay the others and hope they don't suck you out.