Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Move to Cash Games

I have psql 8.2.3 and it's working fine, with the patch advertised in the postgresql section of the pokertracker forum.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:04 AM

i'm on a mac [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Learn a little of both 6-max and Full Ring. Each game teaches you something different. For example 6max teaches Aggression/FR Patience. Find out which one suits your personality and game better and then focus.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:29 AM

The first few years of playing poker I played mainly SNG's and MTT's. After having a son in December I decided that I would make the transition over to cash games. The main reason was I did this was the amount of time tournaments take, as I no longer have 5+ hours to kill playing in some of them.

The best advice I can give you is to do a search for some player video's of 6 max NL on this site. Some of the video's truly give great insight on cash game strategy and really helped me with molding a style that I feel comfortable with.

Also, NL Cash can be very swingy. Some days you can't do anything wrong, and it seems like the easiest game in the world. Other days nothing goes right and you can't hit a flop to save your life and get outdrawn any time you do make a hand. Just concentrate on playing solid, and don't tilt away a month's profit because of this.

Assuming you are going to play micro limits, remember that there are a ton of horrible players at this level. Don't try to get to fancy, and stick to solid poker and you will get paid off in the long run.

As mentioned before, get Poker Tracker and PAHUD, both are great tools in which no serious player should be without.

Good luck.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:54 AM

The reason i ask is becasue i have played 9 max for last 2 weeks and lost money and im not sure if its becasue my good hands are losing to bigger hands or im making to many bad marginal calls. Im generally a tight agressive player but i feel im playing cash games the same as stt's which im sure is not reccomended. So basically i want to know if i should try 6max instead see if i have more success in those. I decided to put in $500 to see if i can build it up and im still around $500 after 2 weeks breaking even basically from the bonus as it clears on Full Tilt.Also i have Poker tracker but im not sure how to use if but i plan to learn how to and read some articles on here on advice for cash games before i next play as im not playing well and also running bad i think . if anyone could recommend any good articles on here much appreciated. Anyway im not sure what these stats mean all i know is how to import hands into poker tracker and open gametime to give me these statistics im unsure of what they mean so here is my statisitical rating by PT VP$IP 17.98, PFR 6.28, AF-TOT 2.71 and a picture of an eagle. So if anyone can tell me if this is good or bad or more suited to 6max sorry for all questions just finally trying to get my cash game into shape and start playing serious all advice greatful. Il take a look at videos now and post up some hand historys thanks for advice
Old 04-12-2007, 11:24 AM

Your stats are decent for full ring.

I used to play a lot of SNGs and now play almost exclusively cash games.

Its not clear why you're not getting ahead.

Off the top of my head, the differences between tourny and cash... the most obvious is that there's no pressure of escalating blinds. Since you can always reload, you make any play that is +EV. Survival is not a consideration.

re: 6 max vs full ring- I was a full ring player and have recently switched to 6 max.

I would recommend full ring too people learning. Its typically less aggressive and slower paced. There is little pressure to steal blinds because they don't mean as much.

6 max requires better skills at reading your opponents and more aggression. You also have to call down lighter and there can be greater variance. And you certainly play more hands. (17/8 are good full ring stats where 22/12 or higher works well for 6 max)