Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Is This Cheating?

Neither is cheating.

The pulse is obviously a physical tell and using that information is clearly part of the game.

The glasses is a little different, but I would consider it a kind of physical tell and use the information without considering it to be cheating. Basically, the glasses in this case is an attempt by the player to "hide" facial tells that has backfired. As far as I'm concerned, it serves him right for not playing with a plain face anyway.

Now, I think the glasses example is different than intentionally "shooting angles" to peak at a guy's hole cards when he is clearly trying to hide his cards. I think this kind of "shooting angles" is cheating.

Occasionally, especially with very old or very inexperienced players, I'll be next to a player who makes it easy to see his cards without even trying to do so. I tell that kind of guy that I can see his cards and then tell him to stop doing it.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:26 PM

I'm not sure. I think a player should inform the dealer if he's exposing cards, the same way he should inform a player if he's exposing cards. Every player assumes that nobody is going to have his cards exposed before they're in his possession.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:28 PM

I've often told players that they are exposing their hand if I sit normally and see their cards. I have also received polite notice that I'm exposing my hand. I feel better both ways. Is it "cheating" if nothing is said?

Have you ever played heads up in a plane when your opponent was near a window seat? If your opponent was oblivious to the reflection, can you take relentless advantage without being considered a cheat? What if you were next to the window and an opponent lifted your bankroll? Would you feel cheated when you learned how?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The difference here is that your opponent intentionally played J3. While the person doing things that expose his cards isn't doing it on purpose (and if he is then I'm sure you wouldn't say anything as he already knows).

[/ QUOTE ]

I´m not sure this is it. neither player is intentionally losing money but the actions of each will cause him to do so. both of these players probably have their reasons for their respective bad plays. one says, ¨wow, i´ll look just like the guys on tv with these glasses and i can see my cards much better if i hold them up high.¨ the other says, ¨any two can win.¨ both lose money for reasons that I could explain to them. yet, i would still feel less inclined to change the ways of the j3 player.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:18 AM

this is not cheating, you are not trying to peak at his cards, if he does not protect them and it shows to you that is his fault and not yours, dont feel bad about it.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:07 AM

Default \"Cheating\" and Caribbean Stud \"Poker\"

Caribbean Stud has a rule where player's aren't supposed to share card value info with each other, even though this does not negatively affect their play (in fact, quite the opposite). The rule exists soley to help the house's expectation by exploiting (somewhat deceitfully) the notion that one is playing "poker" and thus shouldn't expose this kind of info to others; but of course it isn't real poker, and optimal play would demand that they do so.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Re: \"Cheating\" and Caribbean Stud \"Poker\"

Soooo, showing my cleavage is cheating...

Unfair advantage?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Cheating is whatever the floor rules say it's cheating.

If you don't like it go somewhere else.

(not that the floor rules will likely be clear and enforceable, but that's another issue)
Old 01-26-2007, 09:58 AM

My verdict:
The tell is not cheating. You gained this information by your superior observation skills. This is well within the rules of the game.

If you undertake any action with the intent to see your opponent's hole cards that is cheating. Pure and simple.

If you inadvertently see those hole cards it is not as simple. I don't think a player has an obligation to look in a different direction to avoid seeing them.
Therefore in a heads-up I don't consider it cheating. The player with the reflective glasses is at a clear disadvantage but it is his own fault. He has to protect his hand to avoid this. If he fails to do so he has to accept to suffer the consequences.
If there are more than two player I have to consider it cheating for now there are players that have a considerable disadvantage that have not done anything wrong. Now the player who sees those hole cards will/can use this knowledge against those other players as well.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're born with x-ray vision, is it any different than being born with ESP?

[/ QUOTE ]

With ESP you get a different superhero name, and different color tights.