Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Player/Table image

Well, it's pretty obvious that it's important what kind of image one has during a session. It helps you understand how people view you and allows you to make correct decisions based on those views/counter-views. I've been thinking a lot about live poker and how in a sense your table image is very valuable especially when sitting with regulars who you play with on a daily basis. A lot of times your image is carried from session to session. It is also very hard to change your long term image once it is kind of set in stone. If you have a maniac session, most regulars will always remember that one session when facing you in the future.

I have also been thinking about the liklyhood(sp?) that images are accidently created. Maybe you had just lost a few major hands and there are a few new faces at the table that notice you tilt off some hands and automatically view you as a maniac.

My question is if you were to create an idea of an image before you sat down, what image would you create? Would you like people to think you were a maniac so you can lock down when changing gears and get paid off? Or would you promote a tight image in order to pick up a lot of pots with air? Is there a difference as long as you understand how people see you and act properly accordingly?

I was thinking along the lines of live poker because online it seems like you run into a lot more people and unless facing super-regulars your image is in a sense reset among new players.

I wasn't sure where this really belonged so if it's in the wrong forum or there have been similar threads feel free to move it or post links.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Player/Table image

MOST PROS CLAIM TO BE TIGHT AND TRY TO PROMOTE THAT IMAGE. IT'S GREAT TO PICK UP POTS WHEN YOU GET SHORT HANDED SO PLAYING TIGH THEN USEING THAT IN THE LATTER STAGES OF A TOURNEY IS A GOOD WAY TO GO. IN AH CASH GAME I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON THE TABLE.
SORRY FOR THE CAPS.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:03 AM

aaokwitme, can you please stop writing in all caps?

It is horrendously annoying, and most people will just ignore your entire posting, myself included.

If you wish to highlight a word or two, by all means CAP it, but pleeeease not fckn every word you type
Old 06-20-2007, 09:34 PM

Dont be such a baby. I find peeps who worry about caps horrendously annoying and I dont care if they read my posts.