Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Connection problems

I tried putting this in the 'internet' forum but nobody seemed interested. If anyone here knows much about computers/connecs i would really appreciate it. If you need to talk more in depth u likely have my AIM, just tell me to sign on.

I'm currently located in Shanghai China.

On december 26th an Earthquake tore Asias internet apart, but according to the companies and officials the connection was repaired in mid february.

However, I still have extensive internet problems with Full tilt especially and sometimes stars/UB/mansion.

According to our provider our connection speed is 2mb/512 wireless which is better than i had in the states where I encountered zero problems. According to www.internettrafficreport.com Asias connection speed is often still pretty subpar.

Our internet providers information (they are the largest in the country) is basically useless and i'm exhausted at shouting at the screen when full tilt decides to lag right int he middle of playing QQ.

I don't really know very much about computers/connections, but can anyone suggest ways/methods to improve my speed or reliability?

If this were a one site problem i'd prolly just avoid it, but it can get pretty bad on the others as well.

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Connection problems

Is it possible you could try a different source of internet? Possibly limiting your problem to the internet itself (rather than the computer's fault. If you are 100% sure that it is the internet I am not quite sure what you can do rather than switching internet services.

The company I worked for has a branch in Beijing and we lost connectivity to them for a while (backups/data transfers we were force to send by DVD)

Another thing you can do is check how many packets you are losing per/hour or per/day (either by using cmd - ping ip -t ... or you can get a better looking and more understanding way by using PingPlotterPro ( http://www.pingplotter.com/download.html ) this is a trial version, no real need to purchase it. This program will check the packet loss from you to FTP or whatever site your using (you do need to find the ip address though) let me know if you have any problems figuring this program out. (read the FAQ ... ect it's very easy - you are gonna want to let this run overnight on the ip you are plotting.)

I'll post FTP's IP address in a little bit - have too much traffic to view it right now.

Patrick
Old 03-04-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll post FTP's IP address

[/ QUOTE ]

$ dig www.fulltiltpoker.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> www.fulltiltpoker.com
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 16741
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 6, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.fulltiltpoker.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.fulltiltpoker.com. 900 IN CNAME fulltiltpoker.com.
fulltiltpoker.com. 900 IN A 209.47.206.45
fulltiltpoker.com. 900 IN A 209.47.206.46
fulltiltpoker.com. 900 IN A 209.47.206.47
fulltiltpoker.com. 900 IN A 209.47.206.43
fulltiltpoker.com. 900 IN A 209.47.206.44

edit: actual netstat posts would be more beneficial...just figured I'd toss the DNS info out there (didn't even read the OP....but apparently some A records were relevant so *shrug*...there they are)
Old 03-04-2007, 04:22 AM

True that is the ip used for ftp.com however while FTP is connected it uses a TLSv1 protocol to encrypt data and this IP is different.

66.212.245.39 .. (however there may be multiple ones just as ftp.com has) - this is the one I got when I just logged in.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:13 AM

Thanks for your help guys.

patrick i'm gonna DL those programs tomorrow, if i come up with any more questions is it cool if I PM u with them?
Old 03-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Thats fine bond....