Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: I will mentor you for free

1. How you are currently improving your game

I keep a poker journal that I write in after nearly every session. I try to not focus on specific hands or mistakes that I made but rather a general strategic adjustment that I did not make. For example not properly adjusting to a certain player or certain conditions, etc.

2. Your poker goals.

I have been playing poker as my sole source of income for almost 4 years. For most of this time I was a student at university and therefore "needed" to win so that I could live. Because of this I never tried to advance as a player and beat bigger games, even though I always believed that I could. Now I am done with school and have decided to spend the next couple years focusing on getting better at poker.

My problem is that I think over the years I have adjusted to simply winning because I have played against such poor players and have not focused on learning the proper skills that I will need to move up. (Such as: pot control, playing deep stacks, etc.)

3. Your current stakes and past earnings

Currently I play mostly .5/1 nl 6-max. I have been playing at or near this level for 3 years, but unfortunately have no records to show for it because my hard drive has crashed multiple times over the past year. I have probably made around 100k since I started playing poker seriously in Feb 2004.

4. A few examples of good strategy posts you have made.

PM sent.

5. A little about yourself.

I am 24 and recently got my degree and am now playing poker "full-time". I am very determined to improve my game and am hoping that 2008 is a very successful year in terms of both profit and "moving up". I am American but live in Europe and have access to all sites.

I have been a member of 2p2 for a while and even though I don't post as much anymore I still frequently read the threads in both mid and high stakes nlhe.

Improving as a poker player is (I guess you could say) my main goal in life right now and so I feel as though I could be a very active member of such a community.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read the applications yet just skimmed but it does seem there aren't that many applications that want to run the website. The website is going to be extremely basic, a private log in for each student, a place to download videos (or we can use one of the free uploading sites) and a forum just for articles/hands/chat.

Being able and willing to do this will greatly increase your chances of getting in it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should probably milk this a bit.

In my initial post I mentioned I can create the site. I designed a few in highschool (~4-5 years ago). I created one for an engineering company, one for a local money manager, and one for my gaming clan which had a forum with over 2000 registered users.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't read the applications yet just skimmed but it does seem there aren't that many applications that want to run the website. The website is going to be extremely basic, a private log in for each student, a place to download videos (or we can use one of the free uploading sites) and a forum just for articles/hands/chat.

Being able and willing to do this will greatly increase your chances of getting in it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mentioned that I have a little knowledge and a brother thats more so.

If its going to be simple I would be happy to learn whatever I needed.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM

Everyday I read pretty much every hand that passes through HSNL, MSNL & SSNL and I probably spend (sadly) 4 hours on 2p2 a day reading. Aside from that watch CR vids, free vids, had some coaching, talk about hands a lot with a few real life friends. Usually try and find a one area a week that I feel I am weak in and focus on improving that through play/study.

2. Your poker goals.
Nothing outrageous. Eventually be able to beat 3/6 & 5/10. Start getting back to 10k months like I had on occasion in the old party days. I want to feel comfortable knowing that at at any table I sit at I should walk away a winner and that the other regulars respect my game.

.5/1 & some 1/2. Average about 3.5k a month for the last year. Lifetime I've probably played 300k hands at each level.

I try and post one interesting hand a week in SSNL. They usually get 30+ replies of actual discussion which is a lot for the amount of threads in SSNL.
I have given back to the community by making free poker videos to help people with their game. I have also done some pro bona coaching (sweating) to a few 2p2ers who have asked for it.

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply.
23 years old graduated finance/economics/comp sci from a really good university. Was looking at a lot ibanking jobs but culture fit wasnt right for me so I decide to pursue poker and my own entrepreneurial interests. Hopefully using poker to fund some larger project ideas I have.
Before poker was in our lives was real life friends with martine (online tourny pro) and daut44(pokerstars Caribbean winner & online nlhe pro) and their success has always motivated me to try and better my game.
I have webhosting already for a company I'm starting which has enough bandwidth/space which you're welcome to use for any video/file uploads you need for lucky applicants that you select.

Thanks for reading.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:32 PM

Man your offer makes me regret ever discovering bbv and oot. Please ignore the 100 or so retardo posts I've made there.

1. How you are currently improving your game ?

Just bought PNL about 1 week ago. Studying that as well as browsing mostly the HSNL forums while I should be working

2. Your poker goals

I only recently began playing poker again after taking about 1 year off(marriage/new job/ect..) The reason I began playing again is so I wont have to budget for vacations. Even though my #1 goal is very small beans, I always have the background dream of becoming the next superstar 2+2er that blazed his way up through the limits. When I was still in school this didn’t seem possible because I psychologically couldn’t get over small stakes, and I was cashing out all the time to cover expenses. Now that I have a job this shouldn’t be as big of a problem

Current stakes- .10/.25 NL. I played for about 2 years through college making about 20,000 playing mostly limit. Towards the end I started playing .5/1 NL with limited success

Here is a thread I started back when I was playing 100NL. It got about 25 replies:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...rue#Post6512817

This is a more recent post in reply to a hand against a calling station where he flops over cards and picks up a draw on the turn. Looking back I'm not sure how good my advice is, but I think it shows I had the right frame of mind:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...ue#Post12457362

One more where I was replying to a blind vs. blind situation:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...ue#Post12879490

5. A little about yourself. If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply.

I'm 23, newly married, not making enough money to have/do the things I want. My days are pretty dang slow at work so I think I'd have plenty time to help run the site. However, I know nothing about HTML or building a website. I think most of my help would have to be through support/modding. I'm not really sure what you mean by helping run the videos
Old 11-21-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Discussing hands daily through MSN, AIM, Skype.
2. Hiring a solid coach at least once a month to spot things that no one else sees.
3. Recently started doing more equity calcs.
4. Cardrunners
5. Stoxpoker

[ QUOTE ]
2. Your poker goals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Get to 5/10-10/20 NL within 6 months and become a solid winner there. I have been playing mostly 1/2 8 tabling with some 2/4 thrown in. Pretty sick of that now.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
last 100k hands running at 5ptbb/100 at 95% 200nl and maybe 5% 400nl (rough approximation) 6-8 tabling with no table selection.

Prob made a bit over $300k playing poker (don't know exactly). I have made a lot playing limit and playing NL, I don't really keep records over 200k hands since the DBs just take up space.

I usually get in around 30k hands a month, last 5 months I've probably played 150-200k hands. I played 50k hands 2 months and then 30, 30 and probably 20 this month. 30k hands is a good number for me, if I play more I tend to get sick of poker and burnout more easily.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately I haven't made many since improving a lot as an NL player because I just thought the quality of posts have gone down. If you're looking for 2+2 contribution then I guess I am not in good shape but if you're looking for thought patterns then check my blog, it is in my profile and I am Henri Junttila (2 authors in the blog).

Here is one strategy post (best one I could find): Link

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am from Northern Scandinavia, born in Sweden now living in Finland. Started playing poker late 2004 and quickly got up to 5/10 fixed lhe (went pro around Jan 2005 when I switched to 5/10 6max LHE). Around Feb 2005 I was already playing 10/20 6max lhe and after 200k hands running over 3bb/100, I remember posting some graphs of a good run I had and most of my posts have been in the limit forum.

I begun my NL training in April 2006 with krantz, he basically taught me NL. Since then I've had coaching with many good teachers like cero_z, tommy angelo, bobbofitos, AJFenix, Sunny Mehta. I know there's more but I just can't think of anyone to add.

Fast forward to present time and I am grinding 1/2 mostly building a roll for 2/4 since I determined that I want to get to 5/10NL no matter how long it takes. I've been doing good in the 1/2 games for awhile now and think my game is up to par with 5/10, just need the roll and time to adjust.

[ QUOTE ]
If you're capable and willing to run the site and videos include that in your reply.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you mean "run the site" as host it then probably not without paying for it.

I can make vids if you guys can stand my Antonius-esque accent.

Cheers

P.S. ask any of my coaches and you will find out that I am obsessed to learn more. KRANTZ knows this more than anyone [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 12:53 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
Did we ever figure out who moved this to the mod forum?

EDIT: looks like citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

glad mods can take the time to explain their actions or say take responsibility for them?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:29 PM

I have been working on a strategy of dealing with light 3-bettors that is non-standard, but not going into it here. It is player dependent and my range of monsters-to-draws-to-weak made hands/weak draws is balanced such that they are up against a hand that has them fairly well matched on average but contains draws enough so their EV is closer to neutral if they play the hand well, and losing money when making mistakes. I also discuss strategy and interesting hands with the person who taught me the game.

2. Your poker goals.

I would like to at some stage play comfortably on the 1k tables (currently on 200nl and 400nl - depending on fishiness)

A specific goal that I have is bluffing spots where I am occasionally too passive. I realise that one 'good' bluff from a tight player at the right spot every so often against the right player can be extremely profitable. I know I don't do this too much cuz until 200nl most players are not really thinking much, but now at 400nl, there are a few of them here and there.

Another goal is using reads. I often go by stats, and I find at 400nl occasionally there is a good player who I can't get a handle on. This doesn't happen often at all, and never really at 200nl or lower.

I moved up to 200nl 6.5 months ago and play a little 400nl but mostly 200nl. In 6.5 months, my earnings have far surpassed my expectations since moving up to 200nl. At 200nl I ran around 6ptbb's for 5 months until the break even stretch which started about 7 weeks ago and ended about 10 days ago. Poker earnings in 5 months prior to 6 week break even stretch is 40k (includes rake/bonuses/etc).

I find that most people on 2p2 are pretty bad with advice and for that reason I don't bother sharing in-depth knowledge when I get nothing out of it. I also suspect that of the few people who can offer a good deep discussion on certain difficult spots often don't go into their thought process because of the same reasons. It would be good to find people who are actually competent to discuss these things with, but for that reason, I have no good strategy posts.

Went back to uni at 25 for a new career. Finished at 28, did very well for a couple of years before going on a world backpacking trip. 3 months before leaving, quit my job & took up a close friend's offer who had been playing for a number of years to teach me poker. On his bankroll advice (after making 20 buy-ins and feeling confident and having min 20 buy-ins at the new level, I could move up - If I am under 20 buy-ins, move down) I went through 10nl in 3 weeks, 25nl in 3 weeks, 50nl in 3 weeks, then at 100nl for the last 2 weeks before the trip. I gave up on traveling (found I hate backpacking) after 2-3 months and settled in asia and played. This was the time I tried a lot of new things like raising every hand I play in any position (or fold), raising 100% on the button, etc to see how it affects my image. I went back and forth from 50nl to 100nl for a lot of months while learning about image and game style. Finally I realised how to put all this into a good combination and that worked well. I stayed at 100nl for a while cuz it was comfortable. That brings me to 6.5 months ago where I moved up to 200nl and have been doing very well since then at 200nl and 400nl.

Note - My play is pretty tight - 18/15 - and I find this to be very profitable. I like the image and the FE it comes with. I think adding many more hands just means more marginal hands, and also then I will have a slightly less tighter image and obv less FE. Can you deal with this? If not, I'm prob not your man.

Cheers,
Jack
Old 11-21-2007, 01:47 PM

Hi, I would really like to be mentored:

My English is not the best, because I'm German (I don't have that much of an accent as you might think)

1. I read a lot and just recently started posting, because I didn't want to give wrong strategy advice. I have been a CR member for 1/2 a year. I take "lessons" from a friend who plays NL200 sometimes, but he thinks he is bad at explaining, thats why it doesn't happen too often. I discuss hands with friends via e-mail sometimes. I post-analyze my data after a session or after a day. I try to think about situations I feel uncomfortable in and ask friends about them. I constantly think about small adjustments not only to my game, but to my approach on Poker itself.

2. Currently I am trying to beat NL50 (moved up in November). My next goal would be beating NL100, as it would hopefully allow me to pay for my studies playing Poker. My ultimate dream is to buy a nice house from my Poker winnings (I know its far far away at the moment). 5 months ago, my goal was to pay out 150$ Rakeback every month by July 2008, but because I hit that point allready, I want to be able to pay out about 700$ by June 2008 (only using my Rakeback).

3. Playing NL50 6-max, but I have 30 Buy-Ins for NL100, but I want to make sure that I beat NL50.
I have started from 0, building my bankroll through Winnings, Rakeback and Bonusses. I haven't played too many hands (about 100k), but I started at the beginning of the year.

4. Unfortunatly I haven't made any good strategy posts yet.

5. I don't think I am the most talented poker player, but I haven't played for long and made a lot of effort to improving my game. Having a mentor would be an optimal next step for my game. If I became better I would love to give something back to the community, but I'm not really in that position at the moment. I think that from your "MUST have"-List I have everything except for the strategy posts and the long term membership.

I am looking forward to sweating your sessions ;-)
Old 11-21-2007, 02:18 PM

Hi, I'm a 20 year old student at Leeds uni, and have been playing poker for a couple of years, only one seriously. I started out donking around with friends after watching tv poker etc. I built my online bankroll from freerolls and then usnl on vcpoker a year ago. About 6 months ago i cashed out and moved to stars, depositing $100 and grinding usnl/ssnl. I recently moved up to 200nl and am currently a 4bb/100 winner over a small sample (~10K), largely through running well I think.

I am currently trying to improve my game by reading a lot of 2+2 and watching various videos on the internet. When playing I've stopped playing too many tables and dropped to 2 or 3 where i can actually watch other players and think about how to play against them in a more creative way. I hope to improve my actual understanding of the game and stop being mechanical in how i play.

My aim for the next 3-6 months is to cement my understanding of the game at 1/2 and be ready and rolled to move up to 2/4. longer term i'd like to be able to be comfortable and a winner at 5/10.

Thanks a lot, Will
Closed Thread