Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 AM

Default Re: Sluss\'s AFC Rankings

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This year's pats are way, way better than 2005/2006 Patriots.

[/ QUOTE ]Agreed. They went through a kind of "rebuilding" phase for about two years and came within shot of winning SB both times. That's pretty sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

It think its being quite generous to say that the 2005 pats came close to winning the SB. The lost handily to an pretty unremarkable Denver team.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Haha, this is actually pretty funny. About a week before the season started, I PMed PokerFink asking for some pointers on how to do this. I was actually going to do an AFC Ranking system. I was in the process of writing it today/tommorow, but it would of been up tommorow. Maybe you would like to work on it together, or you want to fly solo on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be willing to help out if we're going to make a kabal of posters to determine the rankings.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]We could just do what happens in Fink's write ups there are usually a few people who just throw in their own list with their own analysis. That can generate just as much discussion. I've been doing both an AFC, NFC and NFL rankings for the past few years off of my own views on that weeks games (and yes I do watch every one)for my own gambling purposes. I'd be interested in both of your rankings and your reasoning.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Pittsburgh is clearly #4, and closer to #3 than #5. Last year's Ben was an aberration. Dude likely shouldn't have even been playing. He's a big time QB with weapons and a very good D.

[/ QUOTE ] Like I said in the rankings I really want to see Pittsburgh get challenged before I think they are better. Ben has only had the weight on his shoulders one year and it was bad, how do we know it was an aberration? If it really is they will start to move up pretty quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
How can Jacksonville be ahead of Tennesee?

Jacksonville lost their last 3 games last year, including a 7 point loss to Tennesee.

Tennesee won 6 of their last 7 games last year.

Both finished at 8-8, but Tennessee was clearly a different team once VY took over.

Tennesee went to Jacksonville and beat them in week 1.

What am I missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if you watched the game, but if Jacksonville had a kicker they would have won the game. Scobee was injured and he couldn't kick more than 20 yards. They had a couple of times where they couldn't kick field goals, I think once where they turned it over on downs on the 20 and they were forced to run more aggressive plays in their own red zone because of a lack of a kicker once that led to a very unlucky fumble.

I'm not knocking Tennesee, they played great on both lines. I think sticking them right at the line of the top AFC teams is really showing them more respect then their talent dictates. Like I said they often grab victory from the jaws of defeat, which has become more and more rare in the NFL.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It think its being quite generous to say that the 2005 pats came close to winning the SB. The lost handily to an pretty unremarkable Denver team.

[/ QUOTE ]

that game turned on 2 or 3 big/bad calls, all of which went against the Pats. it was closer than the score indicated, and easily could have gone the other way. they win that game and they host the AFC Championship, where they are the favorite over Pittsburgh.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think Pittsburgh is clearly #4, and closer to #3 than #5. Last year's Ben was an aberration. Dude likely shouldn't have even been playing. He's a big time QB with weapons and a very good D.

[/ QUOTE ] Like I said in the rankings I really want to see Pittsburgh get challenged before I think they are better. Ben has only had the weight on his shoulders one year and it was bad, how do we know it was an aberration? If it really is they will start to move up pretty quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
How can Jacksonville be ahead of Tennesee?

Jacksonville lost their last 3 games last year, including a 7 point loss to Tennesee.

Tennesee won 6 of their last 7 games last year.

Both finished at 8-8, but Tennessee was clearly a different team once VY took over.

Tennesee went to Jacksonville and beat them in week 1.

What am I missing here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if you watched the game, but if Jacksonville had a kicker they would have won the game. Scobee was injured and he couldn't kick more than 20 yards. They had a couple of times where they couldn't kick field goals, I think once where they turned it over on downs on the 20 and they were forced to run more aggressive plays in their own red zone because of a lack of a kicker once that led to a very unlucky fumble.

I'm not knocking Tennesee, they played great on both lines. I think sticking them right at the line of the top AFC teams is really showing them more respect then their talent dictates. Like I said they often grab victory from the jaws of defeat, which has become more and more rare in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

They gave up 250 yards on the ground and were held to what 50 yards on the ground. That's pretty bad especially for Jacksonville who has a monster D-line and last year, a profound running game. Didn't watch the game, but I'm pretty suspicious about their potential to win if they can't do what they did well last year to get an 8-8 record.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that game turned on 2 or 3 big/bad calls, all of which went against the Pats. it was closer than the score indicated, and easily could have gone the other way. they win that game and they host the AFC Championship, where they are the favorite over Pittsburgh.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is quite nitty.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is quite nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nitty isn't the right word for it.
Usually the "closer than the score indicated" line is used when a late score skews it. New England was never within one score at any point in the 4th quarter. If you are going to say they almost won this, then you might as well have them play on the road at Indy the next week since the Colts came close right?

Obviously any team in the playoffs had a shot to win the SB, but to say that NE came close is just wrong.