Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 12:22 AM

Default .5/1 Stud High: Playing draws on 4th

Any and all comments welcome--total stud newbie

7 Card Stud High ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (3.80 SB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

5th Street - (6.90 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

6th Street - (6.90 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (9.90 BB)

Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___folds

Total pot: (11.90 BB)
Old 07-07-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: .5/1 Stud High: Playing draws on 4th

raising with 4 hearts is pretty standard. I am a bit surprised you didnt bet 5th street. You picked up 3 more outs. I am guessing seat 2 has two pair.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:07 AM

With 3 hearts out on 3rd, this is usually a fold. This is even more true in a low ante game.

You aren't in a great position to be raising it on 4th here, since you act right before the guy who paired his door card. If he 3-bets here, you're suddenly heads-up and well behind. I would just call.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raising with 4 hearts is pretty standard.

[/ QUOTE ]Except against people who pair their door cards, even though we can obviously discount trips since we have a 6.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:38 AM

I wrote that because we have one of his sixes. There are also 3 5s and 3 9s live on 4th street, so we have straight possibilities. It is possible villian has middle pair under, which would be a concern for hero. Does just check-calling 4th hide the flush draw at all?
Old 07-07-2007, 02:59 AM

Nice game selection.

Third is kind of ugly with the dead hearts, especially since two copies of your door card are out, making your hand pretty faceup. You caught a totally perfect fourth street, jam away.

Not betting fifth here is pretty criminal. Not only are you likely getting value, you're almost certain to still have position and be able to take the free card on sixth if you still want it, but bet if you make your hand.

Sixth and seventh are fine.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:35 AM

Was 4th a single or double bet? (paired doorcard)
Is their a way to tell from these hand converter things?

Also, may I ask the poster what his intention was for raising? (I am not saying it was wrong at this point)
but I ask for reasons....

Regards,

CJ
Old 07-07-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was 4th a single or double bet? (paired doorcard)
Is their a way to tell from these hand converter things?

[/ QUOTE ]

From the pot sizes, it appears that Seat 2 made a single bet and OP double raised. Not sure how I feel about that choice.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wrote that because we have one of his sixes. There are also 3 5s and 3 9s live on 4th street, so we have straight possibilities. It is possible villian has middle pair under, which would be a concern for hero. Does just check-calling 4th hide the flush draw at all?

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't say that check/calling is better, only that we can't just look at this and say "4 flush, raise is standard" without taking a paired door card into account.

I pretty much suck at figuring out how to respond to paired door cards with draws. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks guys

I definately wasn't sure if 3rd is a fold with that many hearts out (plus my door cards). Kinna thought so in hindsight, but that's learning.

I raised 4th double--wanted to try and ensure that I had an opportunity to take a free card and felt that was the best way to do so. That said, this is one nuance that I definately don't understand yet.

Also on 4th, I am discounting the chances the bettor has trips given he needs the case 6.

Interesting points about betting 5th and still being able to take a free card on 6th. Newbie me wasn't sure that was possible, but I see the logic now.