Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 AM

Default final 3, playing against father-son couple, chop?

I don't play tournaments often, and so I don't post in this forum much, so excuse my ignorance to some of its formalities.

This is a general strategy question. Here's the setting.

This is a live $150 single buy-in tournament. It's down to the final 3.
1st place is $2350
2nd place is $1450
3rd place is $880

Chip leader (son) has 65K in chips is in seat 1
I have 55K in chips and am in seat 2
small stack (father) has 25K in chips is in seat 3

Blinds are 1000/2000 with 300 ante

Chip leader is a fairly decent aggressive player. He's pushing all-in at the right times. I'm also fairly aggressive. Short stack is bad player, way too tight at this level.

The floorman brought up the idea of chopping based on chips. If we chop, the distribution would be
1st $1850
2nd $1650
3rd $1180

If they weren't a father/son pair, I would have played until I knocked out the short stack. But I felt that I was at an inherent disadvantage playing the two of them even though there wasn't any blatant collusion.

For example, if I fold the button, the two of them don't really have to battle each other. I feel it would be in their advantage to keep both of them in the game rather than chip dump to one or the other given the high blind structure.

If I raise, I really have to deal with 2 people, but often times, if I raised from the BN, the BB would indicate that he was about to fold by holding out his cards, in some ways letting his dad know that he should call without fear of getting reraised by him. This was a little bit unethical I thought but usually allowed in live games.

And if BN called, as much as I want to call in SB, I have to fear BB going all-in yet BB doesn't have to fear getting called by his son slowplaying a monster.

I just felt that there was no good position for me and I was squeezed in every spot. So I decided to chop.

What would you guys do?
What are some ways you think they have an inherent advantage if any?
And how would you defend against those advantages.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: final 3, playing against father-son couple, chop?

ICM says a fair payout to you would be $1658 so given circumstances I think it's a good decision to chop. If I had to play it out I'd just play pretty normally, keep an eye out for blatant collusion but I wouldn't adjust much. I'm not sure but perhaps the lessened chance of CL busting SS means you should play slightly LAGGier?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: final 3, playing against father-son couple, chop?

Or you could have kept making a big deal out of little things which you thought might have been collusion, and got them all defensive and stressed out and then they would play bad and you could get reads on them easier...