Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 02-01-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Love for the Dumpling House

OK, so everyone has been posting about all their favorite Asian foods - sushi, Korean, etc. I love all of those things, but I'd like to spread a little love for a less-recognized (by the white man) but perhaps greatest Asian food mecca:

The Dumpling House.

Now, lots of people have had, and love Dim Sum, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking a full-on joint that serves dumplings, with all kinds of delicious goodies inside.

You sit down and start loading up on baskets full of these hand-made beauties. You dip them in black vinegar and ginger, perhaps some chili sauce. You let 'em pop in your mouth. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

If you live in LA, go to Din Tai Fung in Arcadia. If you live in the Bay Area, go to the Potsticker King in Cupertino (make sure they don't give you the blasphemous white man menu - look for the Taiwanese specials in 8 pt font on the back of the menu). Get the little dishes of food that are kinda like Tapas, Taiwanese style. Eat lots of dumplings, drink lots of tea. Whole meal should be less that 15 bucks per person.

web page

Look at the map, which depicts LA approximately in Miami... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So, let's spread some love for the Dumpling House experience! Do any of you other degenerate foodies have good experiences?!?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Love for the Dumpling House

Damn I love Dumplings! Potsticker King is the one at Cupertino Village correct? LOVE that place!

The best part about going to chinese food with my wife is that I never get the whitey-menu anymore! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I could (and almost do) eat these things all day/week/month/year long!

Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 PM

There's a fantastic dumpling place (I'm sure there're quite a few others, but this is the one I frequent) on Eldridge St. between Broome and Grand streets in NYC called Dumpling House. They have a couple of other things on the menu, but their main thing is dumplings (specifically the fried ones with pork and chives), which they fry up in batches of 50 or so (maybe more, I've never really counted) and sell five for $1. It's basically a hole in the wall, with maybe 5 stools in the back to sit. The dumplings are fantastic and always fresh as they have a constant stream of customers at all hours of the day or evening. Also good are the sesame pancakes that come with your choice of stuffing (I guess you can call it a sandwich). I forget what the options are but I usually get it with beef. And because of the constant stream of customers everything's freshly made.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you live in LA, go to Din Tai Fung in Arcadia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you chinese, JA? For chinese steamed dumplings, Din Tai Fung has a reputation in some circles as best in the world with one small caveat: the Din Tai Fung in Taiwan is a whole level or two better... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM

- Potsticker King is very good...they've actually moved across the parking lot to the building where the hofbrau used to be.

- Shan Dong, 10th St., Oakland Chinatown. Hole in the wall, mismatched tablewear, off-kilter lazy Susans. Tremendous dumplings. I've heard people show up with coolers to buy them frozen and take them home.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:53 PM

Pork dumplings are one of the most perfect foods ever invented.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you chinese, JA?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
Old 02-01-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at the map, which depicts LA approximately in Miami...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well cut them some slack they appear to have put their home base of Taiwan somewhere southeast of the Philippines.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:10 PM

went to Din Tai Fung in Taipei, sooo good. problem is, its way too expensive, and there are plenty of places that are 2-3 times cheaper that are just as good ... man i love taiwan
Old 02-01-2007, 03:28 PM

So, I totally love good dumplings (especially pork). However, I hate Dim Sum dumplings because you have to pick these things and I have no idea what's inside and half the time it's some disgusting thing like those little dried shrimps which I think are totally foul. It's sort of like a mixed box of chocolates where you get the freaking nasty citrus coconut instead of the delicious hazelnut/caramel. Anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it? (usually at the authentic places they don't want to tell you about what's in every dish)