Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 04:39 PM

Default NL50: AK 4 bet pot deepstacked.

This is an interesting hand against a villain who has been talking in the chat about squeezing. He has 3 bet me a couple of times in the session all ready. What line should I take? Should I have played the hand differently preflop? Villain is 34/26/3. 83 fold BB to steal. He also knows that I'm a thinking player because people have been talking about 2+2. I know what he had after the hand and will post later.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($209.60)
SB ($147.65)
BB ($50)
UTG ($50.45)
MP ($53.70)
Hero ($90.95)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $6.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, Button folds, SB calls $13.50.

Flop: ($42.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Feri$taH: bets $25.50 (converter is stuffed)
Hero....
Old 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: NL50: AK 4 bet pot deepstacked.

I get up and leave this table ASAP
1. you have a table coach (telling you about squeezing)
2. you have people who are aware of 2+2 and are openly talking about it, which is just bad for everyone at the table (the fish will either find out more than they need to know, or leave since they'll feel threatened)

as for this play.... you have to ask yourself what the blind is calling 4bets with if they're not brain dead (and with 3x buyins plus talking about squeezing I doubt they are, even 35/25 players don't call 4 bets lightely I don't think)... I think high pockets and AK

since flop was missed I think you have to fold
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM

I'd probably fold. Think he's got an overpair and he'snot folding it. A bluff with a hand like AK/AQ is unlikey and his bet sizing looks like he is just trying to commit you. What did he have?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:05 PM

Meh, I'd shove if you think he can fold Jacks. Even if he calls, you have outs. Looks like he's testing the water. Not a great board for it though, because obviously if you did have Aces, you'd just call here. The problem is, that also looks a lot like AK as well.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:23 PM

PF I raise a little more - to 25$. On the flop I think you have to find a fold. This can be a decent bluff by the villain but remember it because he will stack off then when you have TT+
Old 11-06-2007, 06:29 PM

I think you played it fine. I am asking myself the question why would villain bet into me on the flop after you took control of the pot. Wouldn't he check to the raiser with a big hand and go for a check raise. I really think he has like AQ/AK here but the only play you have is ALL IN. Tough spot to be in, i would probably fold with no reads.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:45 AM

Yup.. Monkey and Shadow are right he had AK too. I folded but was close to shoving because I thought he must have a marginal hand to bet into me when it was pretty likely I was going to cbet the flop. 100 BB deep I would have stacked off but nearly 200 BB I pussied out.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:17 PM

IF only i can get it right when i play my own hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Yeah it takes balls to make that play, you really need to know your opponent. I might make those plays in a live game where i can sense more what the other opponent has by his body language.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:26 PM

One thing to think about is just calling the 3 bet preflop. I especially like to do this when deepish and I have position. A couple of advantages of this is that it disguises your hand strength and allows you to keep the pot a little smaller with your unpaired hand. I will mix it up and do this w/ AA and KK at times to try to balance it out.

By doing this with AK, you can fold the flop if you missed and if you hit your A or K, you are likely to collect on villain's mandatory c-bet that he will make on the flop. This gets value from JJ, QQ, or even KK depending on the flop. It also gets value out of a player squeezing with a worse ace when an ace comes on the flop. Just something to consider.