Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 09:52 PM

Default 77 on BTN vs Reraise outta the Blinds

Villain over ~ 100 hands on about 22/22/4. pretty solid and very agressive.
when i made moves from the btn he raised a lot. i folded my mediocre hands.
where is my line here? fold pre? on flop? or calling to wait for his turn-action?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $99.25
BB: $125.60
UTG: $9.75
CO: $24.40
Hero (BTN): $66.80

Preflop: Hero is dealt 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $7.00</font>, Hero calls $5.00

Flop: ($14.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $10.00</font>, Hero feels bad, that he called preflop ...

By the way, what kind of reraises do you call, if you feel that you can stake Villain ? When do you guys fold a middle pair ?
Old 09-22-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: 77 on BTN vs Reraise outta the Blinds

your getting good odds to call for set value ..since u called your pretty much looking to hit a set , i think this is an EZ fold on the flop ...

a more advanced play PF is to resteal (4bet light) ...pop it up to like 19 or 21 , rep a big hand and he'll fold a considerable amount of time ...which makes this play profitable ...but you have to have a reliable read thats he's 3betting you light ..its a very high variance play , and i dont reccomend it until you have a good feel on who and when to use it against...
Old 09-22-2007, 10:02 PM

- Has he been 3-betting LP raises a lot out of the blinds? From his stats it doesn't seem like he calls much - maybe a good spot to 4-bet and take it down pf.
- As played, I think you can also call there for set value since you are both deeper than 100bb - but i would like to see what others have to say. If I am sitting on 100bb i think i fold or 4-bet there - calling is -EV - but you are a bit deeper so maybe calling for set value is borderline ok.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:03 PM

I like a 4bet too (to $19), if he's been 3betting you to death.

As played it's a toss up between calling and re-evaluating the turn, raising or even folding, depending on how wildly aggressive you think he'll be. Maybe you can shove and rep TT-JJ, seeing as if you call this ~1/3 of your stack will be in the pot

edit: when he's 3betting a fair bit, you should either 4bet lighter, or just fold your marginal raises.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:33 PM

"It depends" Considering stack sizes you are the limit of the 5/10 rule if we are to assume that villains range is primarily consists of overpairs to your 77. (This might not be the case as you have implied that he is playing back at your btn moves i.e his oop 3-bet range might be quite wide)

In this particular hand I call to set mine as this villain is pretty aggro and he will c-bet most flops. If you hit your set its just a matter of extraction, which should be easier in a 3-bet pf pot as the pot will be pretty big after his c-bet anyway.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:50 AM

It sounds like Villain has been 3-betting enough of your steals to make it suspicious, and as a result, you are in an awkward position versus this 3-bet.

If you just call, you're getting like 14:1 in implied odds, which sounds wonderful, except that I suspect you're frequently going to fall far short of stacking Villain when you flop a set. Meanwhile, you will often have the best hand with your unimproved 77 on the flop, but you won't know where you stand and will be in the unenviable position of basically playing chicken against an aggressive Villain without really knowing his postflop tendencies. I mean, if you call the flop, will he check the turn with his unpaired hands? If so, you can call the flop with the plan of betting if checked to on the turn and folding if Villain bets. But if Villain will two-barrel, then that plan sucks and basically amounts to letting Villain build a bigger pot for him to steal.

Your other options are to close your eyes and keep calling (playing for 130+ BB stacks if necessary so long as the board seems favorable) or to play back at Villain. The first option sounds really hazardous without a strong read that Villain is a bully who simply won't quit firing no matter what, and the second option amounts to playing chicken against an aggressive Villain you really only have a sketchy read on.

In the posted hand, probably I would call the flop bet, with the plan of reevaluating on the turn, but I wouldn't be happy about it.

4-betting preflop is another option and maybe a better one. I doubt you're much of a favorite versus Villain's range, since there are more PPs you're losing to than PPs you're beating and Villain will generally have two overs to your 77 when he doesn't have a PP, but chances are you have some folding equity, and the pot isn't empty. You're going to be repopping to like $20-22, though, so if Villain 5-bets you're either going to have to fold (probably the most sensible play) or you're going to end up calling and praying he just has AK. And, if called, you're going to be in an awkward spot on the flop.

It's a tough spot. I mean, you've got a good starting hand, but usually it's going to become marginal on the flop.