Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 04:11 AM

Default Re: How is abortion a states rights issue?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Err, we posted at the same time :P

So, you were just joking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is a rather common misconception, although to be honest, federal LE agents rarely investigate murders, usually only getting involved when they cross state lines.

I posted because I'd realized how many posts had past with no one questioning that statement, but decided to play it tricky, as I feel I post entirely too much code and don't want a "DblBarrelJ TempBan for too much code" rule called. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-31-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is not a state's rights issue. In fact, if Roe v. Wade is overturned no more than a week would go by before a bill was introduced in Congress outlawing abortion nationwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a states rights issue, the Constitution was written to give individual states most of the issues.

I would suggest you google "Federal Criminal Offenses". You will find a very short list, as it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would suggest that you pick up a copy of Title 18 of the United States Code, and stop trying to pass off some random google search as legal expertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I own a copy. Its actually sitting right in front of me, as well as the Bachelors in Criminal Justice hanging on my wall, on the same shelf my badge and service weapon are sitting.

Murder is not a federal offense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Heh, a bachelors in criminal justice does not really mean much IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loled at this. I rarely came into contact with the criminal justice majors in college, partly because they're not exactly liberal arts students and partly because there weren't that many of them. I do remember having like 5 of them in a Social, Legal and Political Philosophy class I took senior year and they were supertarded. The kind of people that try to hijack the class discussion to talk about current events instead of the actual philosophy.

What I remember the most is that they seemed incapable of thinking in the abstract. That isn't to say anything about DJ, though. Just reminded me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I dealt with alot of jocks and other various idiots in the major requirements during my college years. I did enjoy psychology, still do. As a matter of fact, I'm considering heading back soon to get my M.A in Criminal Psychology.

Concerning this whole argument, unfortunately, when you begin discussing federal/state law, you enter a very tangled, confusing, and honestly contradicting world. I believe that abortion rights should be left to the states, but then again, I feel alot of federal law should be left in the hands of individual states.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Err, we posted at the same time :P

So, you were just joking?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is a rather common misconception, although to be honest, federal LE agents rarely investigate murders, usually only getting involved when they cross state lines.

I posted because I'd realized how many posts had past with no one questioning that statement, but decided to play it tricky, as I feel I post entirely too much code and don't want a "DblBarrelJ TempBan for too much code" rule called. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, never knew you were a chick. Learn something new every day. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2007, 04:22 AM

I thought that was how stay at home dad's dressed.

Edit: And looked [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Fine, I couldn't find a good picture.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:32 AM

Did you think I was talking about a psychology class? Funny.

I agree with this on abortion, I suppose. I don't understand the people on my side that get all worked up over the threat to Roe v. Wade. All overturning that would do is toss the issue back to the states. And in the states that the majority of people live in nothing would change.

I've actually been thinking about the possibility of accomplishing things at the state level recently. I've noticed that the state of Minnesota does pretty much everything it does better than the federal government. It's easier to gather the political will on the state level, I think. People tend to like their state government better than the feds. As a default play I guess I like the idea of leaving more things to the states.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I agree with this on abortion, I suppose. I don't understand the people on my side that get all worked up over the threat to Roe v. Wade. All overturning that would do is toss the issue back to the states. And in the states that the majority of people live in nothing would change.

I've actually been thinking about the possibility of accomplishing things at the state level recently. I've noticed that the state of Minnesota does pretty much everything it does better than the federal government. It's easier to gather the political will on the state level, I think. People tend to like their state government better than the feds. As a default play I guess I like the idea of leaving more things to the states.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a few drinks LOL. I saw "Philosophy" and "Psychology" clicked in my head. I do agree with you about the stupidity of some in my line of study though.

As to the discussion at hand, that's pretty much true with everything. I'm not much of a government supporter, however, government always does seem to be better the closer it is.

Its sort of a free market ideology, in a way. Want to carry a gun, in general, stay in the south. Want to feel better about what you do for the enviroment, move to California, want to lead the nation in executions, move to Texas, etc.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a few drinks LOL. I saw "Philosophy" and "Psychology" clicked in my head. I do agree with you about the stupidity of some in my line of study though.

As to the discussion at hand, that's pretty much true with everything. I'm not much of a government supporter, however, government always does seem to be better the closer it is.

Its sort of a free market ideology, in a way. Want to carry a gun, in general, stay in the south. Want to feel better about what you do for the enviroment, move to California, want to lead the nation in executions, move to Texas, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can get behind the idea of free market thinking in this respect. Like, I would never live in the South. Ever. Or the Southwest. Really, I can't think of many places I'd be happy outside of Minnesota. Maybe Canada, maybe New England, but that would be about it.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can get behind the idea of free market thinking in this respect. Like, I would never live in the South. Ever. Or the Southwest. Really, I can't think of many places I'd be happy outside of Minnesota. Maybe Canada, maybe New England, but that would be about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why states rights are so important. We are a nation of 300 million people. There are very, very few things that are "right" for 300 million people. The solution is to give the states more power, and the feds less.

You say you wouldn't live in the south, and I feel exactly the same way about the NE. Thats personal choice, which is what states rights are all about.

Ultimately, I would love to take the power from the states as well, and give the power to the counties, but I understand how in our modern world, where many of us cross county lines on a daily basis to get back and forth to work, that could become a legislative nightmare, so I know it can't happen.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why states rights are so important. We are a nation of 300 million people. There are very, very few things that are "right" for 300 million people. The solution is to give the states more power, and the feds less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its like watching a child walk for the first time.