Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Where does profit come from?

Hi,

I took a beating last night dropping around 50 BIs. I just couldn't win a hand as a fav or a slight to big dog. I felt like no matter what I did, I couldn't win. I should have quit but that is another story.

My question is: Where do the profits come from in PLO? I understand that I profit when I make correct decisions vs. my opponents incorrect decisions but with the very close hands in this game how is it possible to profit?

Also, is it even possible to beat $50 PLO or is the rake too high?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Where does profit come from?

wow that makes me feel better about my run anyway.

you profit by playing against the guy that runs bad for 5BI and then tilts off another 45. The hands aren't always very close at all when you get it all in.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 PM

Why don't you post some hands so we can see what you mean by "correct decisions." In omaha its very important to pot control and play carefully with marginal hands. If your getting in every time as a coinflip your doing something wrong. There are so many weak players playing PLO that you will find yourself in many profitable situaitons like nut flush vs. weaker flush, set over set, nuts w/ redraw vs nuts no redraw.

Yes PLO 50 is beatable when you dont tilt off 50 bi.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:18 PM

certanly the rake too high
dont even think to play 50PLO

i suggest you to go on some higher limits like with 200/400bb because of $1 rake

and
lotsaluck
Old 08-21-2007, 05:18 PM

wow how the hell do you loose 50 buyins in one night? and in omaha none the less where you dont have to play anywhere decent to have 30%+ when getting the chips in the middle? What happened dude?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow how the hell do you loose 50 buyins in one night? and in omaha none the less where you dont have to play anywhere decent to have 30%+ when getting the chips in the middle? What happened dude?

[/ QUOTE ]

He sucks. Variance does not account for 50 buy-ins in that short of a timeframe.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He sucks. Variance does not account for 50 buy-ins in that short of a timeframe.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not bbv. If you want to say stuff like that then do it in my bbv post about the downswing.

Look, it happened. I lost around 50 BI, this included dropping down until I reached the lowest point I will play, $25 PLO.

I can't explain how it happened, it just did. Maybe I have worse luck than anyone in the world? Maybe I do really suck, but look at what has been said; it is basically impossible to suck that bad.

FWIW I don't think I suck that bad. Hence my SERIOUS question, where do the profits come from? And, is it all luck?
Old 08-21-2007, 07:11 PM

It's definitely not impossible to suck that bad. It is however, impossible (ya, ya you [censored] probability nits it's "improbable" with a probability the size of the number electrons in the god damn world) to run that bad.

Because this is the Omaha forums you want to hear "oh its just variance, you're just in the 18th [censored] sigma of bad luck"? lol
Old 08-21-2007, 07:21 PM

If you really want to know if you just ran bad or not, all you need to do is get PTO and PokerEV and you can check the whole thing. My guess is that you ran bad for the first 10 BI or so, then started saying "f*ck it, all that ever wins in this game is sh*t anyway" and started 3-betting constantly, playing too many hands, and pushing weak draws. I'd guess that at the very least, 35 BI of your 50 BI loss were due to bad play.

BTW, since you asked, the profit in PLO almost always comes from getting it in better than your opponents at showdown. Almost no good players end up winning more money without showdown than they lose; it's just about getting it in when you've got a big hand and getting away when you don't.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, since you asked, the profit in PLO almost always comes from getting it in better than your opponents at showdown. Almost no good players end up winning more money without showdown than they lose; it's just about getting it in when you've got a big hand and getting away when you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

true that no one wins more than they lose in non-showdown hands, but that doesn't mean that winning more pots without showdown than the next guy isn't an important part of the edge that good players enjoy.