Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Why not just get an overseas bank account?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But Neteller IS an overseas bank account. Can somebody explain why it is going to be illegal to deposit with Neteller?

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't be illegal to deposit to neteller, as i understand. what will be illegal is to transfer between neteller and your US bank account.

[/ QUOTE ]
How? Neteller has "authentic" (i.e. non-poker related uses). How is transfering from/to my bank account to/from Neteller going to be illegal any more than some Swiss bank account?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe 99% of netellers business is gaming. The banks won't be fooled here, they'll just ban neteller. Maryland has already banned neteller for years.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But Neteller IS an overseas bank account. Can somebody explain why it is going to be illegal to deposit with Neteller?

[/ QUOTE ]

It won't be illegal to deposit to neteller, as i understand. what will be illegal is to transfer between neteller and your US bank account.

[/ QUOTE ]
How? Neteller has "authentic" (i.e. non-poker related uses). How is transfering from/to my bank account to/from Neteller going to be illegal any more than some Swiss bank account?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe 99% of netellers business is gaming. The banks won't be fooled here, they'll just ban neteller. Maryland has already banned neteller for years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, but 99% isn't 100%. Also, I don't think Maryland specifically banned Neteller, they banned all banks that do not have an office in Maryland.

EDIT: And the Maryland banks didn't ban Neteller, Maryland did. Neteller abides by not accepting any transactions from there.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:13 PM

One thing is perfectly clear to me. That is that nobody here knows what the hell will be illegal and what wont. Youre all just speculating and guessing.

Most think withdrawals are legal
Most think deposits are illegal

Some think transfers between your bank and Neteller are illegal (which happens to contradict the fact that withdrawals are suppossedly legal still)

Numerous times Ive gotten checks from Neteller (instead of direct dspoiting to my bank account). Nowhere on the check does it indicate its from Neteller or any gambling entity.

Can your bank still tell its from Neteller from some code?
Old 09-30-2006, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing is perfectly clear to me. That is that nobody here knows what the hell will be illegal and what wont. Youre all just speculating and guessing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-30-2006, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can your bank still tell its from Neteller from some code?

[/ QUOTE ] Look at your checkbook. See that series of 9 numbers before the first gap starting at the bottom left. That's the code, unique to each bank, financial institution etc.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:34 PM

If Neteller is banned, how are you planning on getting your money out of there?
Old 10-01-2006, 02:07 AM

Neteller has branched out to buying up actual banks in China and other countries in Asia. They are a legitimate institution now that they have acquired these existing banks. They just didn't bring it to US because there are already too many banking institutions here. They also bought a company that deals with ATM's, that is why they have the Neteller Debit Card. They will figure out some way of making sure that the transactions continue. It's not like they are some Columbian Drug Outfit that also happens to sell coffee, LOL.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:46 AM

The problem is Neteller to gaming sites transactions. And that is the only problem.

In a court Neteller would be asked, "why did you sign a contract with an illegal internet gambling company to facilitate deposits for players?"

Then the gavel will hammer down and the Neteller exec will be pwned.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a court Neteller would be asked, "why did you sign a contract with an illegal internet gambling company to facilitate deposits for players?"

Then the gavel will hammer down and the Neteller exec will be pwned.

[/ QUOTE ] Why the Neteller exec will be sat in one of his offices outside the USA sticking 2 fingers up at the US government. As long as he doesn't enter the USA then there is no problem. You guys from across the pond seem to forget your laws do noy apply outside your borders.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:21 PM

When I lived in the UK and had a Neteller account I was able to link it to my UK bank account in much the same way I do here in the US. It seems like the easiest way will be to have a UK bank acct with a UK Neteller acct and operate that way, wiring funds from my UK bank acct to my US acct as needed (or just using checks/visa).

But as everyone has mentioned already, the 'hardcore' guys getting money online and playing isn't really the issue.