Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 02:24 AM

Default Serious moving to Vegas question- What car to get.

So you get to help me decide what kinda car to get. Quasi-serious responses appreciated.

Situation: I'm moving to Vegas in a few days.

I used to drive an '86 chevy celebrity. I'm throwing it away and buying a new (read as could be used as well) car as soon as I get out there.

I've got 80k to my name, pretax. Probably owe 30-40k in '06 tax. Hourly rate over my last 160 hours is $600. Paid $9600 for Security deposit + 6 months rent on our house upfront due to lack of paystubs as a poker player, so I don't owe rent till 2007.

Due to having an '86 celebrity, I've almost avoided getting serious with chicks so I wouldn't have to drive them anywhere (live in DC now, can use metro) So I'm more than interested to flipping the switch and getting a car solely for women reasons.

As you can tell given my financial situation, it wasn't but 4-5 months ago my roll was in the 15k range. Assume my 160 hours at a $600 winrate was 8 tabling and enough hands to assume some sort of accuracy in winrates. All of this winrate was done at one limit and involves no huge score to skew the results.

Not the most disciplined, I'm not prone to perma tilt as in I get drunk, play 100/200 blow a lot, then do it the next day, but am prone to getting drunk and blowing 10k in a night. Some worry involving this and moving to Vegas, especially during series time. Don't expect to play in too many of the tournaments, but plan on buying into ME if need be, and assume I live expensively as in I'm going to be getting table service frequently, and eating at expensive Vegas restaurants ($100) approx twice a week. Have some pit problems but I am getting better with it (usually not buying for more than $2-300, opposed to years ago having -3,4k nights at the roulette table)

So basically I'm comfortable with my winrate, and apprehensive about my discipline. But my discipline issues aren't one that results in me going from 80k to 40k in a night. Usually something like 80k to 70k then spend the next week getting it back. Funds are diversified enough to ensure that gargantuan tilt can't be too devastating.

Choices are as follows (in descending order or price, and the top of the list is what I want)

Audi A6 = 50k
BMW 330 = 42k
New Honda Accord (which I actually thinks looks nice) = 25k
Used Honda assuming somewhere around 15k.

You can replace the used accord with anything similar and in that price range. Biggest factors = pimpability and safety. Getting either of the first 3 cars used is a possibility, as is buying or leasing. Alot of uncertainty I know, but that's where I'm coming from.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Serious moving to Vegas question- What car to get.

[ QUOTE ]
Not the most disciplined, I'm not prone to perma tilt as in I get drunk, play 100/200 blow a lot, then do it the next day, but am prone to getting drunk and blowing 10k in a night. Some worry involving this and moving to Vegas, especially during series time.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many months will it take for the OP to be BUSTO after moving to Vegas?
Old 06-17-2006, 02:29 AM

I voted under, only cuz 2.5 months is too low. Set the line at 8 and it's fair.

Edited to say: dangit, that meant I should voted over.

Further assume: Roommate for next 2 years is rich completely tilt-free disciplined internet celebrity, so worst case scenario is staked.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:31 AM

So you have 80K, but owe 30-40K?

So you have 40-50K?

... and you are considering a 50K car?
Old 06-17-2006, 02:32 AM

acura tl or tsx
Old 06-17-2006, 02:33 AM

I almost edited to include Acura, because that's an in between that I'm thinking of.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you have 80K, but owe 30-40K?

So you have 40-50K?

... and you are considering a 50K car?

[/ QUOTE ]

What percentage of the young population has a car financed worth more or about the amount of funds they have available to them? Most ppl I know owe 10-20k on their car and have 2-5k in the bank with a steady job.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:41 AM

And what percentage of the young population are idiots?
Old 06-17-2006, 02:44 AM

Get a ford focus, after you have been out there a year buy something nice if your finacially stable.

And its vegas, bang some cheap hookers and enjoy your first year, no need to get a nice car and impresses bitches, when its basically americas walmart of pussy.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Get a ford focus, after you have been out there a year buy something nice if your finacially stable.

And its vegas, bang some cheap hookers and enjoy your first year, no need to get a nice car and impresses bitches, when its basically americas walmart of pussy.

[/ QUOTE ]

All my friends work at Pure, etc. so it is part of the culture I'm walking into. But yes, I am now leaning towards going low then 6 months from now trading in if all goes well.