Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2006, 02:33 PM

Default 25/50 hand from Bellagio

My image is that of a guy who they've never seen before who has been out all night drinking at a strip club, but playing like a rock. I've accumulated a lot of chips playing tight and keeping pots small with legitamate top pair-ish hands and winning every one. Haven't gotten out of line once. Stack is now 12k starting from 5k, all the while never playing a pot greater than 3k. Opponnent from the few hours we've played together really seems like a rock, and has about 2700'ish behind.

6 handed, opponnent limps in EP, there's a button limper, and I'm in the SB with Q10h, I complete and button checks. (sorry I'm new, but no converter)

Flop comes out J98, with 2 spades. I fire right out for 200, BB folds, opponnent makes it 500, and it's folded back to me.

What's your plan of action? My read is my opponnent is strong, but can get away from anything that isn't a monster like a set or a combo draw. Checking and letting him pot commit himself on the turn is risky because there are alot of cards that can kill my action if he's on a twopair or set type of hand.

Since my read is he's strong, it seems like this is an auto-push, but my read on the opponnent is that he might get away from a J10, 109, or even a two pair hand if I push. If we assume he's a true rock (and that I've got a rock image), he'll fold most flush draws unless he has the 10s. I really don't have this move in my arsenal, which is why I didn't consider it, but it seems bumping it to 1100-1200 could be ideal here, especially since he knows little of my betting patterns in big pots (actually nothing)

This is definately an extremely weak tight game, and not something I've ever experienced in the online world. Online with these stacks I'd push and not think twice. I imagine most will say to push, but given the stack sizes I'm trying to gauge just how big of a mistake, if at all, people view calling and checking.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Re: 25/50 hand from Bellagio

I'd call flop, check the non-spade/non-pairing board turn & check raise the sheeeeeeet outta him.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:43 PM

Go all in.

If this shortstack gets away from all of the hands you claim, then you really need to be semi-bluffing more.

It sounds like the problem is that you are a little too predictable, even against shortstacks.

Anyway, push all in.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go all in.

If this shortstack gets away from all of the hands you claim, then you really need to be semi-bluffing more.

It sounds like the problem is that you are a little too predictable, even against shortstacks.

Anyway, push all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Push all in?? the pot is like 900 and he'll push for 12k. I don't see why he would do this w/o Q 10.

I think to get value u kinda need to slow play in this spot. Even calling the flop and leading turn would be good. If you get raised on turn, then push.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push all in?? the pot is like 900 and he'll push for 12k.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I read the post right, his opponent only has $2700 in a 25/50 game.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:53 PM

If he is really is a rock, then the chances of him having 88/99 are much higher than some of the 2-pair hands you are describing. Also, there is no time like the present to start building an image. If he folds you look a little but more wild, if he calls you will get some future FE, so just push.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:56 PM

I'm sorry that's misleading. I'd say he's a rock post-flop, not pre. The player in between us has been blind straddling and blind raising all night. We've all loosened up preflop.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:05 PM

pal,

I'd raise as much as you think you can get him to call.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:08 PM

you must re-raise here

of course calling and going for a turn c/r would be sexy but there are too many bad turn cards and he will also check behind with is flush draw too often for that to be the best line

definately throw in a pot sized 3bet here

you have the nuts. builda pot.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pal,

I'd raise as much as you think you can get him to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you like a raise to about 1200'ish? Seems to accomplish the same thing as going for the c/r on the turn: i.e. pot committing him. I either am not put in this position often enough, or just flat out don't use this move enough that it didn't cross my mind at the time but seems to be ideal upon reflection.