Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: A-Rod and Yankees may negotiate during the season.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A 6-year deal is better for A-Rod because of his age. He is about to turn 32. A 6-year deal brings up right up to age 38 or so. I do think he will push hard for a 7-year deal, and he may get it. A 6-year deal with a player, team or mutual option on the end of it makes the most sense. Whether it is a player or a team option depends a lot on the money value of the total contract.

In about 3 years or so, he will be 35. This is when most players begin to leave their prime and you see downswings in their performance. Even with a player as great as A-rod, you have no idea how his body is going to react in a few years. He would like to lock in a large contract now, while he is playing well, than gamble with his aging body in 3 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you're talking about a new 6-year deal. There's no way that happens with the Yankees, in my opinion. Remember, the Rangers are subsidizing the current contract ($7 or 8M a year, I think?). If he opts out and the Yankees give him a new deal, they lose that. So they can pay him A LOT more if they extend the current deal instead of signing a new one.

I expect he'll sign a 4-year extension worth $120M or so. That would take him through 2014.

And obviously no one else in baseball is going to give him $40M a year. That's crazy talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not talking about a new deal. I am talking about an extension. The 3 years left + 3 new years + 1 year player option.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm not talking about a new deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, then I agree.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:16 PM

lol @ people talking about 40 mil a year being ridiculous, like 30 mil a year wouldnt be

how many postseason RBIs does he have for the yankees in the last 2 years? without looking at stats my guess is not many
Old 07-12-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ people talking about 40 mil a year being ridiculous, like 30 mil a year wouldnt be

how many postseason RBIs does he have for the yankees in the last 2 years? without looking at stats my guess is not many

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobby Abreu had the most postseason RBIs last year for the Yankees, they should sign him to a $20m/yr deal minimum, right?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ this poster
Old 07-12-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobby Abreu had the most postseason RBIs last year for the Yankees, they should sign him to a $20m/yr deal minimum, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see where I said that, do you? Im just saying if Im going to give a guy more money per year than anyone in sports history then Id prefer he didnt choke it up in the playoffs much. The truth is though that it doesnt matter cause the Yankees will pay him whatever he wants because they can afford it and there's no one better at that position and they probably can afford to give 100mil+ anyway.

BTW I like AROD a lot, so lets not let this diffuse into a sample size argument, cause I dont care enough to argue it.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM

so in other words you know you're objectively wrong and you don't like A-Rod.

gotcha.

how've those ninth inning home runs been this year? good for you?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ this poster

[/ QUOTE ]

I just like trolling baseball threads sometimes since some baseball posters like to push their meaningless stats into NBA threads. Keep in mind I never said he wasnt great or that he wasnt the best player in the league or anything, or that he hasnt been worth the 25 mil a year hes been getting. I just dont see how hes worth the mid 30 mils a year you guys are talking about, as I dont think hes Jesus Christ.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

gotcha.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I like Arod, but you have a mancrush him and cant handle me saying hes not worth buddha money. I dont think anyone is worth that money, is that good enough for you?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

gotcha.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I like Arod, but you have a mancrush him and cant handle me saying hes not worth buddha money. I dont think anyone is worth that money, is that good enough for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

congrats. we'll keep this post warm for when a-rod does re-sign with the new york yankees, and I will read it aloud on WFAN in a brooklyn accent. I'll also be sure to refer to major league players as 'deez guys', say that they're overpaid babies, and bring up either Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford, or some other player trapped by the reserve clause to have to take an off-season job because he was so strapped for cash.