Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:31 PM

Default A-Rod and Yankees may negotiate during the season.

I'm surprised there is no thread here on this. The Yanks are willing to negotiate during the season w/ Boras to extend A-Rod's contract. But Boras says no, they will wait til the end of the season. But he mentions A-Rod will be getting over $30 million a year on the open market. Then he mentions that even if A-Rod extends his contract, he can opt out again in 2008 and 2009.

Is he basically saying there is 0% chance A-Rod is staying in NY, or is he trying to get NY to pay an absurd price like $35-40 million a year?

A-Rod to get many many monies
Old 07-12-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: A-Rod and Yankees may negotiate during the season.

[ QUOTE ]
He is basically saying there is 1% chance A-Rod is staying in NY, and he is trying to get NY to pay an absurd price like $35-40 million a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2007, 01:42 PM

A-Rod will sign a 5-6ish year contract extension worth 30ish mil a year
Old 07-12-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read the article? Boras said A-Rod will command AT LEAST 30 mil on the open market. He said A-Rod has a clause in his contract that even IF he extends his contract, he can opt out again in 2008 and 2009. Basically if NY wants him, they have to pay. And it won't be 30 million.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:48 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

god i hope it's with the yankees.

new NYY stadium == house that ARod built.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you even read the article? Boras said A-Rod will command AT LEAST 30 mil on the open market. He said A-Rod has a clause in his contract that even IF he extends his contract, he can opt out again in 2008 and 2009. Basically if NY wants him, they have to pay. And it won't be 30 million.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I read the article. You won't find anyone who follows the A-Rod contract situation more closely than I do.

Do you understand there is a difference between three years 32 mil and 6 years 30 mil? And that the second one is probably better for A-Rod?

PS I said 30ish mil. It could go as high as 32 and as low as 28. I don't see it going 40, though. That's an absolutely ridiculous number.

I could see a 7-year (total) contract, but I think 6 is a much more likely number.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I read the article. You won't find anyone who follows the A-Rod contract situation more closely than I do.

Do you understand there is a difference between three years 32 mil and 6 years 30 mil? And that the second one is probably better for A-Rod?

PS I said 30ish mil. It could go as high as 32 and as low as 28. I don't see it going 40, though. That's an absolutely ridiculous number.

I could see a 7-year (total) contract, but I think 6 is a much more likely number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, why would a 6 year deal be better? Wouldn't he just get a new contract in 3? But the reason I asked about 35-40 a year is because if A-Rod wants to leave NY, wouldn't that amount be what it takes to get NY to keep him? Or is it just a negotiating ploy from Boras?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:17 PM

i'd bet my life a-rod never sees 30 million a year in his next contract.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:19 PM

I would book this bet in a heartbeat.

Do you have a preferred method of death for when I come to collect?
Old 07-12-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, why would a 6 year deal be better? Wouldn't he just get a new contract in 3? But the reason I asked about 35-40 a year is because if A-Rod wants to leave NY, wouldn't that amount be what it takes to get NY to keep him? Or is it just a negotiating ploy from Boras?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just typical Scott Boras. A-Rod has repeatedly said (and Boras cringes every time he says it) that he wants to stay in New York. One time he made a quote along the lines of "I'd rather die on the field than play anywhere else". It is obvious to anyone that listens to the man, A-Rod, that he wants to stay there. Most sports writers, however, sell columns by preaching about the pitfalls of the Yankees.

A 6-year deal is better for A-Rod because of his age. He is about to turn 32. A 6-year deal brings up right up to age 38 or so. I do think he will push hard for a 7-year deal, and he may get it. A 6-year deal with a player, team or mutual option on the end of it makes the most sense. Whether it is a player or a team option depends a lot on the money value of the total contract.

In about 3 years or so, he will be 35. This is when most players begin to leave their prime and you see downswings in their performance. Even with a player as great as A-rod, you have no idea how his body is going to react in a few years. He would like to lock in a large contract now, while he is playing well, than gamble with his aging body in 3 years.