Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 PM

Default NL10-a few hands

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $20.25
BB: $20.85
UTG: $10.15
MP: $9.45
CO: $18.10
Hero (BTN): $10.05

Preflop: Hero is dealt 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, SB calls $0.35, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($1.20) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.20) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $0.30</font>, BB calls $0.30, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.10</font>, SB folds, BB calls $1.80

River: ($5.70) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $5.10</font>, Hero folds

the sb was really passive. like 47/7 or something similar. i planned to shove river if he called. the bb had more aggro stats, like 23/11 i believe. i would've given up vs him (had he not shoved river). is the semi bluff on the turn good? bad? ridiculously bad? also, should i have cbet this flop?

now for hand 2:

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $7.95
BB: $17.00
UTG: $5.10
Hero (MP): $9.85
CO: $17.85
BTN: $6.65

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $0.10, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.50</font>, CO calls $0.50, BTN calls $0.50, 3 folds

Flop: ($1.75) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($1.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $1.30</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $1.30

River: ($4.35) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $8.05</font>

villain in this hand is unknown, and since he's short i assumed he was bad.

i can't beat NL10, so if if you guys see anything drastically terrible in any of my posts let me know please.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: NL10-a few hands

Hand 1: The flop does at least give you something to represent, but that's the only good thing about it. Versus two players, I would tend to check and give up.

Your turn raise represents a sandbagged monster, and sandbagging flopped monsters in this way is popular at the 25 (I'm not sure about the NL10, but I'd imagine it's similar there). Unfortunately, it looks like maybe you picked a time to make the play when BB was on a slowplay of his own.

In any case, I suspect the play is not really worth the risk versus a turn bet and call (although that bet was pretty damn small, it's true). You need a lot of folding equity on the turn/river for this to be good. You probably only have about 20 percent actual equity in the pot based on your cards, and you were planning under some circumstances to put your entire stack in UI. It's a gutsy play, but I think that if SB calls that turn raise, there's a good chance he has more than just a draw.

Hand 2: This seems fine to me. Mainly you're hoping Villain was slowplaying trips or a turned straight, but Qx might call as well.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:43 PM

Hand 1: from these last 30,000 hands at NL10 it is my understanding that the fold equity for a play like this on the turn is never there. I have made so many semi bluffs just like this and its worked like 15% of the time tops. I have probably blew at least 10 to 15 buyins doing this.

Hand 2: I like it if he has a king he will not be able to fold it.

Did you happen to play a lot of NL 5 or NL 2 before playing NL10? I have played a ton of both of them before coming to NL10 and I am currently having to completely unlearn stuff that worked at nl2 and nl5 but are huge leaks at nl10.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:52 PM

yes, wow. i was beating NL5 for 16ptbb over like 30k hands, and i am slightly above breakeven at NL10. in hand 2 the river bet is like a psb to him.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:56 PM

there was a post somewhere where one of the high stakes players was talking about having to unlearn and relearn new skills as he moved up. I just didn't think it was this drastic lol.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there was a post somewhere where one of the high stakes players was talking about having to unlearn and relearn new skills as he moved up. I just didn't think it was this drastic lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any specifics? I'm starting out at 10NL (on FT) and it's somewhat similar to 5NL that I played on stars about a year ago.