Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Any feedback on the new potential look of magazine will be app..

http://twoplustwo.com/magazine/layou...man0607_3.html
Old 06-21-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Any feedback on the new potential look of magazine will be app..

Looks fantastic. A great improvement over the existing look.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Any feedback on the new potential look of magazine will be app..

I like it a lot. Any chance of moving the stories to the left side of the page? It makes things easier to print, but that's not a big deal. (or add one of those "print" button options)

At any rate, it looks good.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:00 PM

Default Much better

I always cut-and-paste the magazine articles into a single Micro$oft Word document and printing them from there. The old style was obnoxious because it pasted into Word as a table, which made reformatting it difficult. Doing a "Paste Special" of unformatted text had its own reformatting difficulties.

Your proposed version not only does not paste as a table, but allowed me to change the font and Line Spacing while keeping everything pretty.

Adding a print button option would be desirable for many people, though i'd continue to save paper by cutting-and-pasting into a single magazine document. I assume that for ad-revenue purposes, you wouldn't want to make a consolidated magazine available on a single webpage or download, which would be even better. You could consider making the consolidated magazine available to readers who view a more expensive ad or go through some other 2+2 revenue generating activity?

I would do that.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Much better

There is now a print button.

also this is an obsolete(the other threads on this subject were updated) thread, but the newest look is: http://twoplustwo.com/magazine/layou...man0607_3.html
Old 06-29-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always cut-and-paste the magazine articles into a single Micro$oft Word document and printing them from there. The old style was obnoxious because it pasted into Word as a table, which made reformatting it difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also print magazine articles in Word but never encountered tables. I only highlight the text of the article which I then cut and paste it.

MKR
Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM

It's certainly an improvement, but the article body text is a bit too wide. I'd add more padding to the right so that my eyes don't hurt so much when reading a whole article. Does that make sense? The page looks good, but I'm not inclined to read the text because it's not very eye-friendly.

Also, instead of using a standard <hr /> for the line below the editor's note, you could use the CSS bottom-border attribute on the AuthorBlurb class to make the line look like the other lines on the page (that line is currently thicker and doesn't look as slick as the borders).
Old 07-01-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's certainly an improvement, but the article body text is a bit too wide. I'd add more padding to the right so that my eyes don't hurt so much when reading a whole article. Does that make sense? The page looks good, but I'm not inclined to read the text because it's not very eye-friendly.

Also, instead of using a standard <hr /> for the line below the editor's note, you could use the CSS bottom-border attribute on the AuthorBlurb class to make the line look like the other lines on the page (that line is currently thicker and doesn't look as slick as the borders).

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a larger discussion in About the Forums regarding how wide the article content should be, as I originally had it in a fixed width format. In the end, I went with giving the readers the ability to size the window to their own desired reading comfort. Even still, maybe some extra margin space on the right could help. I’ll work on that along with replacing the <hr> for the next issue.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kiera
Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 PM

The latest magazine looks light years better than the previous ones. Kudos!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always cut-and-paste the magazine articles into a single Micro$oft Word document and printing them from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

In addition to the Print this Article button, when printing, all extraneous information is omitted. Let me know if you have any additional suggestions for what the magazine looks like when printed.