Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Ivey vs. Corey Pavin golf bet

Discussed on the 2nd episode of Poker After Dark by Hellmuth, Sheiky, and Huck.

The bet: $10k per hole.

The rules: Ivey plays at TPC Summerlin (Vegas course that he frequents) from the reds...forward-most tees...or ladies' if you're non-pc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Corey plays from the tips, or black tees. I thought I caught that Corey would play a different course, but not sure about that.

Anyhoo, Ivey scrambles with himself, meaning he gets to hit each shot 2-3 times (not sure how many) and take the best ball. Pavin plays straight up.

From the discussion, Hellmuth implied that Ivey was worse than a 15-handicap.

For what it's worth, Sheiky and Hellmuth said they'd bet Pavin. Huck said they were out of their minds.

Who's your $$ on assuming Ivey is a 15-handicap? How about 10 or 20 handicap?

P.S. Most of us have seen footage of Ivey playing golf. He's improved big time from 3 years ago at the American Poker Championship, but still ain't pretty.

P.S. Negreanu says he's the best putter he's ever seen (from his forum).
Old 01-03-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Ivey vs. Corey Pavin golf bet

Theres a BIIIIG difference between getting to hit each shot 2 times, and getting to hit each shot 3 times. I find it hard to imagine anyone with a handicap below 30 would lose with 3 shots.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Theres a BIIIIG difference between getting to hit each shot 2 times, and getting to hit each shot 3 times. I find it hard to imagine anyone with a handicap below 30 would lose with 3 shots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely correct about the importance of whether it's 2 or 3. I question, though, whether a +30 is capable of winning.

At +15 (usually breaks 90), Ivey is capable of hitting every shot he needs. Not consistently in a regular round, but mulligans ("do-overs") make it a whole new game.

Pavin's not long enough off the tee to give him much advantage. Accurate and consistent, yes. He'll put his wedge shots closer, usually. Just-off and/or around the green shots will be major factors in outcome. Putting, time and time and time again will (as usual in golf) decide more than just a few holes.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Discussed on the 2nd episode of Poker After Dark by Hellmuth, Sheiky, and Huck.

The bet: $10k per hole.

The rules: Ivey plays at TPC Summerlin (Vegas course that he frequents) from the reds...forward-most tees...or ladies' if you're non-pc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Corey plays from the tips, or black tees. I thought I caught that Corey would play a different course, but not sure about that.

Anyhoo, Ivey scrambles with himself, meaning he gets to hit each shot 2-3 times (not sure how many) and take the best ball. Pavin plays straight up.

From the discussion, Hellmuth implied that Ivey was worse than a 15-handicap.

For what it's worth, Sheiky and Hellmuth said they'd bet Pavin. Huck said they were out of their minds.

Who's your $$ on assuming Ivey is a 15-handicap? How about 10 or 20 handicap?

P.S. Most of us have seen footage of Ivey playing golf. He's improved big time from 3 years ago at the American Poker Championship, but still ain't pretty.

P.S. Negreanu says he's the best putter he's ever seen (from his forum).

[/ QUOTE ]

Me likey. If Ivey really is nails at putting, the 2 or 3 shots is a much bigger advantage than it would be for a "normal average" golfer - even if Ivey doesn't hit it far enough/consistently enough to set up good birdie opportunities, a great putter can manufacture many more par saves and birdies seeing that he gets a read on his first putt, and another chance or two to nail it if the first one doesn't go in (and it's his "home" course, so he probably has a pretty good read on all the greens already anyhow). Scoring in golf is mostly about the wedge game/putting anyhow, and if his normal issue is getting it off the tee in play, that's alleviated a bit here. Also, if his ball striking normally creates "high variance holes" where he gets in trouble (O.B., hazard, etc.) it's not such a big deal, since it's a skins match. I would think an 18 hole score would favor Pavin here, b/c even with only one shot, he's probably less likely to have blowup holes.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:13 AM

For what it is worth, Mike Sexton said he would consider playing Tiger Woods with similar conditions granted (maybe the exact same ones)
Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 AM

I'm pretty sure Ivey is a 17 or 18 handicap - he was chatting a couple of weeks ago on Full Tilt when we has single tabling and he said 17 or 18. I asked him about the up and down shot from the bunker they showed on PSIII and he said he was lucky. I am pretty sure it is two shots and not 3 because Hellmuth said something along the lines of you have to assume Phil will have 2 bad drives on some holes.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:22 AM

How is Sexton at golf?

Obviously Tiger is much better from the Tips than Pavin.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How is Sexton at golf?

Obviously Tiger is much better from the Tips than Pavin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger is MAX 4 shots better than Pavin on a given course. Probably more like 2.5-3 strokes better
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 AM

this sounds crazy....i'd go with ivey....and can someone link me to previous golf footage involving ivey?
Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 AM

oh yeah...this thread reminds me of this story i heard somewhere (details may be off so no flaming!)
Apparently, ivey was golfing with Chip Reese (?) and was around 75 yrds from the hole when he asked chip, what do you think the odds are that i hit this shot in the hole. Chip said i dunno, 300-1 and ivey replied with, "common, gimme 500-1". Chip agreed and they put down 10k on it. Ivey proceeded to knock it in. Now THATS balla. Ship it.