Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Small things to make the world better

There really is no need to write standard checks any more, especially for people who do not pre-write them and cause longer waits/lines for everyone.

Also, don't smoke right outside of doorways like others have said.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A similar one - when sitting down on an airplane please don't lower yourself into your seat by holding onto the headrest in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

this drives me nuts. a while back i was flying air canada from frankfurt to toronto and i was woken up because someone was using my headrest for support while doing who knows what. i looked back to see some old lady fiddling with her shoe or something and i guess i didn't have the most pleasant look on my face (after just waking up) so the old fart she was with started yelling at me in french. i told him politely that i did not understand what he was saying, so he kicked the back of my seat to push my seatback up. i turned around and put my headphones back on and tried to go back to sleep. a couple minutes later when i thought things had calmed down i tried to put my seatback down again, and immediately it was shoved right back violently.

so:

a) don't be an [censored]
b) when you realize you're being an [censored], don't start yelling and being a bigger [censored]
c) when you're being an [censored] and someone is trying to talk to you politely, don't pretend you don't speak their language
d) don't use violence just for the sake of being an [censored]

[censored] = bumhole but starts with an a
Old 10-27-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Use blackle instead of google when you only need a standard search. It uses google's algorithm so your search results will be the same, but has a black background instead of a white one so it uses less energy. Helps the planet in a very small way, but every little bit helps I guess. http://blackle.com/about/

[/ QUOTE ]

most of us here have LCDs so this wouldn't cause us to use any less electricity. the backlight stays on at the same power regardless of the colour displayed on the screen.

someone who works in graphics hardware actually told me that LCDs use MORE power when they're on black, but i'm not sure if thats actually true.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:21 PM

Just don't bring young children on vacation, to the movies or to nice restaurants. Your 18-month-old is not going to get anything out of a trip to Vegas or a screening of 2001, and the likelihood of him annoying the hell out of people on the plane or in the theater is really high. Stay home or get a [censored] sitter.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:45 PM

Do not make the simple use of an ATM transaction the opportunity to reorganise your purse/handbag/organiser. Get your money and step to the side. It's not hard.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:55 PM

If you like something someone is doing or wearing, within reason, tell them so. It takes two seconds, but can make someone's entire day exponentially better. I know it sounds like I'm being just touchy-feely, but...I'm a high school teacher, and you would not believe how much more attentive and tuned in some of my kids are when you just give a small word of encouragement. Adults are no different...everybody likes a compliment, even if they would never admit it.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you see someone and you genuinely like something they're wearing or they look particularly good that day, tell them. Doesn't matter if it's your girlfriend, your grandma or your roomate. A genuine compliment out of the blue makes people feel great, even if it's about something completely unimportant.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If you like something someone is doing or wearing, within reason, tell them so. It takes two seconds, but can make someone's entire day exponentially better. I know it sounds like I'm being just touchy-feely, but...I'm a high school teacher, and you would not believe how much more attentive and tuned in some of my kids are when you just give a small word of encouragement. Adults are no different...everybody likes a compliment, even if they would never admit it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great job reading the thread.

Oh, and nice shoes.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A similar one - when sitting down on an airplane please don't lower yourself into your seat by holding onto the headrest in front of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

this drives me nuts. a while back i was flying air canada from frankfurt to toronto and i was woken up because someone was using my headrest for support while doing who knows what. i looked back to see some old lady fiddling with her shoe or something and i guess i didn't have the most pleasant look on my face (after just waking up) so the old fart she was with started yelling at me in french. i told him politely that i did not understand what he was saying, so he kicked the back of my seat to push my seatback up. i turned around and put my headphones back on and tried to go back to sleep. a couple minutes later when i thought things had calmed down i tried to put my seatback down again, and immediately it was shoved right back violently.

so:

a) don't be an [censored]
b) when you realize you're being an [censored], don't start yelling and being a bigger [censored]
c) when you're being an [censored] and someone is trying to talk to you politely, don't pretend you don't speak their language
d) don't use violence just for the sake of being an [censored]

[censored] = bumhole but starts with an a

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bs. You should never put your seat back in a plane. It gives the person behind you far less room to do whatever they are trying to do - reading, eating, using a laptop or whatever. You're pretty damn selfish if you think it is ok to inconvenience somebody else just to make your trip slightly better.

Also, if you’re sitting beside somebody in a lecture theatre or on a bus or plane, try your best not to invade their personal space with your arms and possessions.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you see someone and you genuinely like something they're wearing or they look particularly good that day, tell them. Doesn't matter if it's your girlfriend, your grandma or your roomate. A genuine compliment out of the blue makes people feel great, even if it's about something completely unimportant.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Great job reading the thread.

Oh, and nice shoes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, thanks about the shoes. Sorry about the reading comprehension.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:00 PM

Be tolerant of your fellow human beings. The next time someone does something that bothers you, politely address it with them before getting all passive-aggressive with them. I think you'd be surprised how accommodating people can be to reasonable requests.