Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Movies with the best Monologue

i was always a fan of the two monologues by Ben Affleck in Boiler Room:

Jim Young: Okay, before we get started, I have one question, has anyone here passed a Series Seven exam?
Man: (raises his hand) I have a Series Seven license.
Jim: Good for you. You can get up too.
Man: What? Why?
Jim: We don't hire brokers here, we train new ones. That's it Skippy - pack your [censored], let's go. (the man leaves) Okay, here's the deal, I'm not here to waste your time. Okay, I certainly hope you're not here to waste mine, so I'm gonna keep this short. Become an employee of this firm, you will make your first million within 3 years. Okay, I'm gonna repeat that, you will make a million dollars, within three years of your first day of employment at J.T. Marlin. There's no question as to whether you become a millionaire working here. The only question is, how many times over. You think I'm joking....I am not joking. I am a millionaire. It's a weird thing to hear, right? Lemme tell ya, its a weird thing to say: I am a [censored] millionaire. And guess how old I am...27, you know what that makes me here? A [censored] senior citizen. This firm is entirely comprised of people your age, not mine. Lucky for me, I happen to be very [censored] good at my job or I'd be out of one. You guys are the new blood. You are the future swinging dicks of this firm. Now you all look money hungry and that's good. Anybody who tells you that money is the root of all evil, doesn't [censored] have any. They say money can't buy happiness. Look at the [censored] smile on my face! Ear to ear baby! You want details, fine. I drive a Ferrari 355 Cabriolet. What's up? (he slides his keys across the long boardroom table) I have a ridiculous house at the South Fork. I have every toy you could possibly imagine. And best of all, I am liquid. So now you know what's possible, let me tell you what's required. You are required to work your [censored] ass off at this firm. We want winners here, not pikers. A piker walks at the bell. A Piker asks how much vacation time you get in the first year. Vacation time? People come to work at this firm for one reason, to become filthy rich, that's it. We're not here to make friends, we're not saving the [censored] manatees here guys. You want vacation time, go teach third grade at a public school.
Okay, first three months at the firm are as a trainee, you'll make 150 dollars a week. After you've done training, you take the series seven, you pass that, you become a junior broker and you're opening accounts for your team leader. You open forty accounts you start working for yourself, the sky's the limit. A word or two about being a trainee, your friends, parents, other brokers, they're gonna give you [censored] about it, it's true, a 150 a week, that's not a lot of money. Pay them no mind. You need to learn this business and this is the time to to do it.
Once you pass the test, none of that's gonna matter. Your friends are [censored]. You tell em you made 25 grand last month they're not gonna [censored] believe you. [censored] them! [censored] 'em! Parents don't like the life you lead. [censored] your mom and dad. See how it feels when you're making their [censored] Lexus payments. Now go home and think about it. Think about whether or not this is really for you. If you decide that it isn't, listen, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. This is not for everyone. But if you really want this, you call me on Monday and we'll talk. Just don't waste my [censored] time......Okay, that's it.
this one

and

Jim Young: Goddammit, you [censored]' guys. I'm gonna keep this short, okay? You passed your sevens over a month ago. Seth's the only one that's opened the necessary forty accounts for his team leader. When I was a junior broker I did it in 26 days. Okay? You're not sendin' out press packets anymore. None of this Debbie the Time Life operator [censored]. So get on the phones, it's time to get to work. Get off your ass! Move around. Motion creates emotion. I remember one time I had this guy call me up, wanted to pitch me, right? Wanted to sell me stock. So I let him. I got every [censored] rebuttal outta this guy, kept him on the phone for an hour and a half. Towards the end I started askin him buying questions, like what's the firm minimum? That's a buying question, right there that guys gotta take me down. It's not like I asked him, what's your 800 number, that's fuckoff question. I was givin him a run and he blew it. Okay? To a question like what is the firm minimum, the answer is zero. You don't like the idea, don't pick up a single share. But this putz is tellin me you know, uhh, 100 shares? Wrong answer! No! You have to be closing all the time. And be aggressive, learn how to push! Talk to 'em. Ask 'em questions... ask 'em rhetorical questions, it doesn't matter, anything, just get a yes out of 'em. If you're drowning and I throw you a life jacket would you grab it? Yes! Good. Pick up 200 shares I won't let you down. Ask them how they'd like to see thirty, forty percent returns. What are they gonna say, no? [censored] you? I don't wanna see those returns. Stop laughing, it's not funny. If you can't learn how to close, you better start thinkin about another career. And I am deadly serious about that. Dead [censored] serious. And have your rebuttals ready, guy says call me tommorrow? [censored]! Somebody tells you th-they money problems about buyin 200 shares is lying to you. You know what I say to that? I say, hey look, man, tell me you don't like my firm, tell me you don't like my idea, tell me you don't like my [censored] neck tie, but don't tell me you can't put together 2,500 bucks. And there is no such thing as a no-sell call. A sell is made on every call you make. Either you sell the client some stock, or he sells you on a reason he can't. Either way, a sell is made. The only question is: who's gonna close? You or him?! Now be relentless. That's it, I'm done.

wicked
Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Come on, we've already mentioned Glengarry; compared to that, Boiler Room is nothing.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, we've already mentioned Glengarry; compared to that, Boiler Room is nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

pshhhh
Old 10-26-2007, 09:13 PM

Pacino: Scent of a woman!
Old 10-27-2007, 04:47 AM

Virgil Kint. Usual Suspects.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
Old 10-27-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Virgil Kint. Usual Suspects.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

[/ QUOTE ]

Verbal Kint, goofball.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:10 PM

Right. But don't let that take away form how great the monologue was. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Roger 'Verbal' Kint
Old 10-27-2007, 01:35 PM

Patton
Old 10-27-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Macbeth

in Macbeth

[/ QUOTE ]

Shakespeare should probably be excluded, but:

Macbeth, as performed by Gandalf!

Henry V
Kenneth Branagh is a little crazy in this clip, but he's good.

Hamlet- Branagh again
Old 10-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Apparently Mckellin has always sounded like an old man.