Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-26-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Dexter 11/25

Wow, that episode was crazy crazy intense. The whole last half hour, I could feel my entire body tensed. It seems like every episode the situation just gets worse and worse for Dexter until you just can't imagine how it can work out.

Anyway, right now he has:
-a gunshot in his leg
-an entire FBI security detail at his house that will find it suspicious if he doesn't show up
-Doakes, who knows that he's the Bay Harbor Butcher caged up in the Everglades
-a meeting scheduled with Rita
-an FBI investigation that has tons of evidence that could easily lead to him if it's not played exactly right
-a crazy, arsonous, possibly murderous ex-girlfriend who's obsessed with him that also knows things about him that could be very suspicious

If this was 24 or something, it wouldn't be that big of a deal since super-Jack always finds a way to fix everything, but in this show, every time Dexter screws up, it seems that the things he does wrong actually lead to a new problem and are never fixed easily. Considering how hard it is to increase tension throughout in a typical 2 hour movie, it's really amazing that they can keep it increasing throughout an entire season without any let up.

I still think Season 1 was a little deeper, but this season has been a lot better than could be expected. Great job of living up to the original considering that they weren't even following a book.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:39 AM

Amazing ep. Can't wait for next week's.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm still loving all of it, but i was disappointed with how doakes went down. i think they could have gotten the same gunshot victorious dexter result in a more plausible way, such as doakes firing first and then falling through the missing planks on the dock. him allowing an unarmed, handcuffed, dangerous guy to rush him from a distance just seems out of character.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 PM

I don't know how Dexter possibly explains the gunshot wound when he was supposedly inside of his house.

I also have no idea how the Doakes thing is resolved. I think that it is obvious that Dexter isn't going to kill him, especially since the previews made it look like he was about to kill him. At first I thought that it might wind up being Dexter somehow framing Lila as the killer and working out a deal with Doakes, but that is improbable since A) Doakes yelling "you'll have to kill me," and B) they have already worked out that the killer is in their office. I mean really, it has to be either Dexter or Doakes caught for this, and its obviously not going to be Dexter since that would basically end the show.

Also, yeah, the [censored] with Doakes was incredibly cheesy abd I thought Dexter was going to somehow have to reason with him or distract him in the car forcing a car accident or something.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how Dexter possibly explains the gunshot wound when he was supposedly inside of his house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent chance he patches it up himself and plays it off as some other type of wound/pulled muscle. No one should have cause to take a close look, especially not the feds. After all, Dexter never left his house as far as they know.

[ QUOTE ]
I also have no idea how the Doakes thing is resolved. I think that it is obvious that Dexter isn't going to kill him, especially since the previews made it look like he was about to kill him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, yeah, the [censored] with Doakes was incredibly cheesy abd I thought Dexter was going to somehow have to reason with him or distract him in the car forcing a car accident or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think it was bad. Not particularly strong, but from Doakes' perspective you have to consider:

1) this is the biggest moment of his law career. He is probably not at his sharpest. Likely his head is spinning with elation of victory, pure amazement that Dexter is the BHB, and most important, knowing that he is about to be vindicated. It's dawning on him, as he's seeing Dexter put the handcuffs on, that everyone who thought he was crazy, all the people that didn't support him were WRONG, and he was right.
2) it was already established that killing Dexter is out of the question. (he should've headbutted revenge style)
3) he feels like he has the upper hand big time. Dexter is in handcuffs, after all. Doakes was confused/surprised by Dexter coming at him. i.e not particularly threatened. This is perhaps not the most likely or realistic possibility, but it's not strange either. Doakes is not lacking in confidence.

Put all that together and you have a reasonable explanation for Doakes' hesitation.

Dexter successfully reasoning with Doakes would've been far weaker imo. Dexter might be able to threaten Doakes, for example, but Doakes doesn't seem like the type to reason with Dexter. A car accident thingy would've been OK, but it's been done so many times.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:25 PM

this isn't the first time that dexter has matched up physically with doakes and come out on top...when they are fighting at the docks in season1 outside the storage unit dexter is doing a pretty good job fighting and its gone into how he has martial arts training etc...not totally unreasonable...intense episode...
Old 11-26-2007, 02:45 PM

the dialogue between dex and doakes was awesome during the whole scene btw.

doakes: jesus christ morgan!! youre the bay harbor butcher!

dex: I really hate that name.

lol
Old 11-26-2007, 03:24 PM

azizal put the whole dex taking on doakes thing very, very well. I was under the impression that last night's ep was going to be the season finale for some reason, and am so happy that it was not and was such a sick episode.

I also remember seeing in the previews the announcer said there were only 3 weeks left but I'm not 100 percent sure whether i'm remembering that from Brotherhood or Dexter. Are there still 3 episodes left?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:31 PM

Did anyone else think it was incredibly sloppy/uncharacteristic for Doakes to leave the slides in his car? I guess the test haven't come back yet, so they could be fake.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone else think it was incredibly sloppy/uncharacteristic for Doakes to leave the slides in his car? I guess the test haven't come back yet, so they could be fake.

[/ QUOTE ]

sloppy, yeah. but why would he think the task force would be after him?

doakes seemed genuinely concerned when leguerta told him the feds found something in his car so theyre probably the real slides.