Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Velocity Diet - Started Today

I just started the Velocity Diet today. Below is my intro; I will be posting all updates at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4802193. Let me know what you think.

BF% - Unknown - 28.5ish on a Tanita scale a few weeks ago
Weight - 227 3/4 lbs
Height - 6'2"

Measurements:
Waist - 38"
Belly Circumference (measured around belly button) - 43"
Top of Abdomen Circumference - 39"
Hips - 41"
Thigh - 24"
Chest - 44"
Forearm - 11.5"
Wrist - 7"
Bicep - 15" (Flexed)
Neck - 16"

Diet:

Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun

5 Protein Shakes (2 scoops) ON 100% Casein Vanilla / Metabolic Drive Orange Cream (tried the orange cream last night, yuck, hopefully I get used to it)
Flax? ? Haven?t bought any yet, do you guys think this will be needed with the Fiber? I do have some Flaxseed Oil caps if those would be helpful.
Fiber - Benefiber with shakes while at home, Fiberchoice while at work
Flameout x 3 caps per day
Animal Pak x 1 cap per day
ALRI Venom Hyperdrive 3.0 - 1 Cap, Possibly 2 after tolerance is tested
ALRI Venom Special Tactics - 2 x 2 caps
ALRI Venom Lean Dreams - 1 Cap at night
ALRI T-X 3 x 1 Cap

Tue/Thur/Sat
4 Protein Shakes (2 scoops) ON 100% Casein Vanilla / Metabolic Drive Orange Cream
Flax?
1 Surge Shake - Post Workout
Fiber - Benefiber with shakes while at home, Fiberchoice while at work
Flameout x 3 caps per day
Animal Pak x 1 pak per day
ALRI Venom Hyperdrive 3.0 - 1 Cap, Possibly 2 after tolerance is tested
ALRI Venom Special Tactics - 2 x 2 caps
ALRI Venom Lean Dreams - 1 Cap at night
ALRI T-X 3 x 1 Cap

Exercise

Mon/Wed/Fri
1 Hr Cardio - Elliptical Machine - Full Incline, Med Resistance
Leg Ext
Leg Curl
V Squat
Hip Adducter
Hip Abducter

Tue/Thur/Sat
Pec Fly
Rear Delt
Shoulder Press
Seated Row
Chest Press
Tricep Ext
Bicep Curl
Ab Curl

Sun
Old 09-26-2007, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Velocity Diet - Started Today

Is there any reason you're starting the velocity diet so soon? From your measurements it seems you have a long way to go, I think you should consider a more sustainable diet for the time being. You could then later use the V-diet to do a final cut.

Also your workout program has overtraining written all over it. It's easy to get impatient, but you'll probably be happier and better off with a slower program and diet.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:03 PM

for this stuff, the waist measurement is generally taken around the belly button
Old 09-26-2007, 01:17 PM

Way too much intensity in your cardio and volume. Reread the Chris Shugart articles.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:20 PM

I wanted to do velocity to jump start my progress, then go on something more long term, then do a final cut with velocity again.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:24 PM

Would 30 mins of cardio be more acceptable on training? I planned to keep it at 1 hr of low intensity. I just prefer elliptical over treadmill. Also, how does the lifting program look? I've basically been doing the lifting program for a few weeks already and been pleased with my lifting gains thus far.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM

You're lifting program is pretty bad to start with for a beginner this is a more advanced diet and you should be on a low volume/low intensity maintenance lifting portion for this. Also if you reread the original article Chris Shugart mentions doing walking each day since he doesn't think his body can handle much more intensity.

Also if you are using regular MD, then it defeats the whole purpose as it is a MRP. You also lack enough fats in your diet.

To be blunt you have no clue what you are doing and are setting yourself up for a massive failure. You aren't even following the original recommendations in even a fairly vague sense.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM

No, it was definitely the low carb version and I probably won't be using much more of it as it tastes horrible compared to the ON Vanilla. Aren't I getting enough fats from the Flameout? He basically said in the updated version that Flameout could be substituted instead of the fish oil caps. Do I need to add in the Flax for extra fat?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:43 PM

OK, I don't know about the diet, but your workout basically sucks.

Two huge problems:

1) You're training way too much, especially when operating at a calorie deficit

2) You're doing way too much cardio. Cardio (in the kind of durations you're planning) destroys muscle and muscle eats fat.

The weights program is kinda meh too. I would do a full body MWF focusing on the movements that give you most bang for your buck.

Mon/Wed/Fri
Leg Ext
Leg Curl - Replace these two by alternating between squats and Deadlifts (one session is squats, next is deads, etc)

V Squat - is this some sort of weird machine (the first google result?)

Hip Adducter - you're not going to have much energy given you're eating less than your body needs to fuel everything, I wouldn't use it on some girly machine.
Hip Abducter

Tue/Thur/Sat
Pec Fly -
Rear Delt -
Shoulder Press
Seated Row
Chest Press
Tricep Ext
Bicep Curl
Ab Curl

That's a lot of exercises. Bench and chinups would hit most of the same muscles. Your CNS is going to be fried after a week of this routine, and that's before the effects of quite an extreme diet.

I suggest doing something like the T-Dawg diet (if you need a planned program) and a good beginner program (5x5, starting strength, or something) that will give you a foundation to do, well whatever you want, in the future.

Oh and get off the machines. With very few exceptions (mostly to do with rehabbing an injury), they are worse than a similar motion with free weights

I don't mean to sound negative. It's great you're trying but you're trying to do too much of the wrong stuff and will just get nowhere.

Yes you've seen gains, but that just serves to prove that doing anything will give you gains when you first start training. BTW - if you've been on this lifting routine for weeks without curling up in a ball you're either a genetic freak or (more probably) not lifting enough weight. Training ABABABX would destroy me physically and mentally (even with machines and 3x8).

So yeah, sorry to trash just about all of your plan, but the most important thing is intact - that you're committed and keen.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 PM

I'm in the Ab/Adducter stuff is a complete waste of time camp.