Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 03:12 PM

Default Orange box & Team Fortress two beta thread

We are getting close to the release of Half Life episode two. I am very excited about this and am greatly looking forward to the next installment of the adventure, even if it does work out to be only 8 hours long or something similarly absurd.

One part of the Orange Box is Team Fortress two, something I have been waiting patiently for 10 years now. I used to play the original Quakeworld Team Fortress back in the day and absolutely loved it. I was part of a clan and everything. It's the only time I've got involved to that level, and I am hoping that this latest version will grab me in the same way.

Anyway, if you order the Orange Box ($45 for Half Life 2, episode one, episode two, portal, and TF2) now, you get $5 off retail and more importantly you get to play in the beta of Team Fortress 2 which starts on Monday! Obviously my copy of TF2 is preloaded and waiting to go already.

Who else is excited about this?

Ars Technica story about Orange Box preorders.
TF2 gameplay video 1.
TF2 gameplay video 2.
TF2 gameplay video 3.
TF2 gameplay video 4.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: Orange box & Team Fortress two beta thread

not to mention if you order orange box, and you already have HL2 and/or episode one, you can "give" them to another person to play, so they're not completely useless to most steam users
Old 09-14-2007, 03:56 PM

If you're jonesing for some TF action, Fortress Forever, a mod for Half Life 2, just came out a few days ago, I haven't tried it yet because I'd completely forgotten about it until this post.

www.fortress-forever.com
Old 09-14-2007, 04:05 PM

Holy [censored]!

TFC was one of my favorite games, and I've been waiting on this forever. It took so damn long for this game, most ppl thought it was vaporware, now we just need Duke Nuke 'em 2 to make an appearance.

BTW whats the release date on this, and any idea if the 360 version will be out at the same time as the pc version (my pc wont be able to run it [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )
Old 09-14-2007, 05:23 PM

As g-bebe points out if you already have HL2 and episode one you end up getting a couple of codes for the aforementioned games, which you can give away to friends. Fairly obviously, all my gaming friends have already played them. Still, the deal on offer is decent, buying episode two, portal and TF2 individually would run to way more than the orange box.

Fortress forever is also worth keeping an eye on. The main problem I have with it is that it's not Team Fortress 2. They have also left concussion jumping in (that seems to be their one of their main aims), which is a pretty weird thing for a new player to get to grips with. There's a gameplay video here.

The release date for the orange box is 10/10 so we don't have too long to wait now. Of course if you grab the orange box on preorder (via Steam) now you can sign up for the TF2 beta which starts on Monday. I'll be there!
Old 09-14-2007, 05:38 PM

they took out all grenades and conc jumping [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they took out all grenades and conc jumping [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the demo man doesnt have any grenades? Hmmm

Concussion jumping meaning rocket jumping? If so I saw a bunch of it in the videos that were linked. I'm assuming you mean something else thought...I guess I should chk your link [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2007, 05:49 PM

Yes it looks like in TF2 there are no concussion grenades or any grenades for classes other than the demoman. The demoman still has his pipebomb grenades though.

This decision offended enough people that the Fortress Forever project got off the ground which was that last video link.

TF2 does have rocket jumping though, that's what you saw in the videos linked to in the first post.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:57 PM

WTF, no concs and no grenades? Grenades were the most effective weapon for a lot of classes, conc jumping as a medic, the engineers grenade was beastly. I'll wait to see how they rebalance the classes, but TFC without grenades would be a completely different game.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 PM

This pack looks like a sweet deal, so ill be probably be getting it.

I wonder if they will re-create old school maps like 2Fort and Well, damn i played that [censored] alot.