Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Ron Paul meetup groups

A friend and I are planning on joining the Chicago meetup group. Is anyone else here already going to the Chicago meetups, or have interest in going? and do they seem worthwhile? One of the meetups was at a karaoke bar, which had me questioning the group's focus, but that may not be fair; maybe they altered song lyrics and went for the bar scene vote? and, today they're at CTA stops handing out fliers, so, on the same playing field as 5-gallon bucket drummer, pissed himself blind-man holding cup, no-talent 2-man cover band, and more, all vying for attention; but, maybe they think tourists will be receptive?

Anyway, obviously leery about joining a group that doesn't seem to be productively difference-making, I'd like to know if they are, or are not, what they seem, before I join. Any meetup group experiences would be helpful!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Ron Paul meetup groups

X-posted from the Chicago group organizer, posted this morning:
"Jonathan Bydlak, fundraising director of the Campaign, called me last night to let us know that Ron will be coming to Chicago on Saturday, Sept. 22 for both an afternoon rally and a fundraiser...and WE need to arrange it! We've had a couple of early communications from people in the Campaign that suggested different dates, but this date is official and final...it will be Sept. 22. Ron will be coming down to Chicago from the Mackinac Republican Leadership Conference in Michigan.

The rally needs to be HUGE; they are shooting for 1500-2000 people.

The fundraiser, which will shortly follow the rally, will be a $1000 minimum donation event for 50 to 100 people.

We don't have much time, just two weeks! Our first priority should be to line up a venues for both of these events. The rally will be a bit harder to line up because we need a place large enough to hold 2000, but not TOO large.

Start contacting your friends to let them know about these events. I will be scheduling both events on our calendar to get an idea of how many people from our groups can attend. Once we have venues lined up these events will be announced on the Campaign web site, and people will be able to pay for the fundraiser and reserve their seat online. Everybody should try their best to attend the rally, and encourage as many friends and family to attend too!

We need everybody's help - send me your ideas, check with your contacts and let's get going. More details coming soon!"

This is what I want. I've joined. I'd still like to hear anyone else's experiences with these types of meetups, though; and, anyone in Chicago, seems it's the best time yet to get involved!
Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 PM

I am a member of the Las Vegas Ron Paul meetup group. When I joined in June there were about 50 members. Now there are 300. It is an excellent way to organize a grass roots effort. We have several activities every week and it looks like we are going to get a feature article done on our group in the Sunday paper.

We do a bunch of signing activities and literature handout type activities just to gain name recognition, but we also are organizing our precincts and working our voter lists to get people organized for the Nevada caucus and get our people elected as delegates.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:42 PM

I'm going to Northwestern and I'm a Ron Paul fan so perhaps I'll join this.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:58 PM

What has the response been when disseminating RP lit? are people generally interested in learning more about him? It's annoying to me when people try doing this to me, regardless of the message, but maybe I'm in the minority.
The writeup should be interesting; mind posting it when it prints?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:59 PM

Do you get to wear baggy suits and RP masks? Sounds like a party.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:04 PM

Wish I could enthusiastically tell you, "definitely come, will be awesome!" but I'm still tentative. It seems like the time to join, as a rally means much more when the candidate is present, so it should be easier to get the message across/people should be more receptive. You should come!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you get to wear baggy suits and RP masks? Sounds like a party.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go away.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:46 PM

I liked your man Paul in that debate, 100% right on Iraq, lots of things, a bit of a gun nut, right? Guns on planes? Anyways, good luck with your long shot, good you found some guy you can embrace, and I would consider Paul if you somehow pull it off.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What has the response been when disseminating RP lit? are people generally interested in learning more about him? It's annoying to me when people try doing this to me, regardless of the message, but maybe I'm in the minority.
The writeup should be interesting; mind posting it when it prints?

[/ QUOTE ]

The response varies based on the location and timing, we've set up booths on campus, at the gun shows, during art festivals, and we even have a 30' tent at the UNLV/Wisconsin taligate party today. It's all incremental. I don't hang a sign on the interstate expecting people to drive by and suddenly decide to vote for Ron Paul. The intent is to plant that seed of name recognition and get people curious. Then maybe next time they are exposed to him in the media or at one of our functions they will take the time to listen. The message of liberty resonates with a whole lot of people. We just try to make sure people get the chance to here it. We don't waste time trying to convert people who aren't interested in liberty.

I will post a link to the article when it comes out.