Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 11:20 PM

Default Dealer Schtick

The dealer mistake thread make me think of this:

This dealer and I have a routine we often do at 6/12:

He comes in, I say "NOT THIS GUY" "FLOOR" if a friendly floor is nearby he says I should be kicked out for playing too tight or something like that. I point out his incompetence.

I then proceed to give up a $2 chip and ask for 4 50 cent "pumpkins". We then often trash talk for several minutes and I tip the pumpkin even if I drag a $200 pot.

I typically stash some real tip chips to the side and tip him for real on the way out. Last week he didnt push me a single pot so I kept the gag going and kept the pumpkins.

He stops by on break later and tells me a guy approached him about how rude I was and that he couldnt believe that dealer put up with my behavior. We both had a good chuckle. We've backed off since then.

Anybody us have a routine with a dealer? Ever backfire?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Dealer Schtick

It backfires every time you do it, because the other 9 people at the table think you're both complete douchebags. Maybe you like that, though?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 PM

A dealer at the Showboat has a little trick that he does whenever I'm at his table and its late. If a guy is sort of young and d-baggy, the dealer will not drop his tokes for a while and build a few up on the table near his box. Then, whenever the young kid wins a pot UTG, he will wait for the next hand, for the kid to put out his BB, and then he will grab it and drop it and thank him like it was a tip.

I find this hilarious. About 50% of the time, the kid is a little surprised and must feel too self-conscious to say anything, so he just pretends it was a tip. The other times, he sits there puzzled and makes a protest. Either way, the dealer gives him his blind back after a little faux argument, and I find it hilarious.

I have the sense of humor of a chimpanzee though, so it doesn't take much.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:25 PM

....I love electronic poker tables. Real life dealers suck.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Then stay at home and play online.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation: "No one can stand to be around me."
Old 07-17-2007, 10:07 PM

Part of my "schtick" at times:

NLHE raised preflop and multi-way action...check flop, check turn, checked 1/2 way around so far on the river...."alright I'm playing out of the rack next hand".

We have a few whiney old bastards in 20-40 stud. Upon thier first bitch at me, usually after 2 low card bring-ins when they're stuck, I say "be nice (insert name) or I'll put ya on tilt and it'll last a week!"

This usually gets a small smart assed remark back but normally followed by a grin they hate to make when they realize my sarcasm. But htey dont whine for the rest of the down either. Hell they even tip me!

Or when I get picked up from playing to deal. No matter what my stack was..."hey dont slow down my game...I'm stuck!"
Old 07-17-2007, 10:31 PM

OP's schtick sounds painful.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either way, the dealer gives him his blind back after a little faux argument, and I find it hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]
That one I'm not fond of. It's never good to make people feel self-conscious about tipping. It's one of those sorta practical jokes that the victim may not enjoy much, and that's not a good thing for a dealer to be doing. Not a huge deal, but there's gotta be a better schtick to engage in that everyone is likely to always enjoy.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:41 AM

Agreed, I think it probably hurts his bottom line, although 8 out of 9 think its funny and one guy usually doesnt mind. Either way, I'm laughing.