Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: NL 25 - AQs facing reraise

Ok, I probably put him on too tight a preflop raising range (this wasn't a read but just on his stats). I think 6% is roughly 77+ AK and AQs, but given he reraised me I leaned more towards higher pairs and possibly AK.

What happened was myself and MP3 checked flop and villain bet $4 (just under half pot). At this point I figure I'm almost certainly looking at AK so I fold. My main concern was do I check or lead flop (but the consensus was I should have folded preflop).

Thanks for the comments.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I probably put him on too tight a preflop raising range (this wasn't a read but just on his stats).

[/ QUOTE ]I don't think that's too tight at all. He's raising 6% of his hands, but what % is he 3betting? People with stats like those usually only raise QQ+ and not even AK. Now if he is any decent it's almost def. QQ+ since he reraised an UTG raise.

check/folding to a $4 bet is terrible. At least check/call.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happened was myself and MP3 checked flop and villain bet $4 (just under half pot). At this point I figure I'm almost certainly looking at AK so I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sigh...

Don't call pf if you aren't even going to call a 1/2-pot bet when you hit your ace...
Old 11-25-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What happened was myself and MP3 checked flop and villain bet $4 (just under half pot). At this point I figure I'm almost certainly looking at AK so I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sigh...

Don't call pf if you aren't even going to call a 1/2-pot bet when you hit your ace...

[/ QUOTE ]

SABR42 is right. If you check the flop, he'll probably cb with all of his hands QQ-AA/AK. Interestingly, there are 50% of the hands in his range that you beat, and 50% that you don't. There are 8 combinations of AK, 1 of AA, 3 of QQ, and 6 of KK. That's 9 combinations you beat, and 9 that you don't. And if you check the flop, then ALL of them will usually cb.

So, c/c the flop, and then c/f the turn might be best if you think QQ and KK will shut down once their cb gets called.

But c/f on the flop is not good. You are ahead about 50% of the time, and if you don't lead (which would be my preferred line), then at least check/call, or maybe even check-raise to $9 and go away if he doesn't fold.

In fact, given his weak $4 cb, a c/r to $9 and giving up if he doesn't fold might be a good line.