Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 PM

Default Re: HU 25/50 really weird spot deep

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you're willing to do the same with the nut flush I don't think it's that bad at all. Just calling straight and flush flops with sets is tricky because it tends to kill your implied odds, and unless you're habitually trapping with nut straights and flushes it telegraphs your hand quite often. Obviously mixing it up is important, but as a sort of common line I prefer playing both types of hands fast to playing them both slow.

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you have the balls to consistently fire 3 bullets with sets when the board doesnt pair, good players will:
A.) pick up on your high betting frequency on flush boards and increase their flop and turn call frequencies, making it an essential tug-of-war IMO.
B.) simply start to c/c flop and c/r turn bets with nut flushes.
** maybe I'm biased because I tend to mostly play HU and otherwise shorthanded.

Also, your prescribed style of play doesn't make much sense to me especially because you tend to play full 6-max games where stack sizes are not always deep and playing sets like this will IMO usually result in leaking money to stubborn shorter stacks.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:00 PM

I'm talking explicitly about hu, which has been my main game for the last few weeks.

If i'm on the button and raise PF with AA and the flop is Axx monotone and the action is c/b/r, I really don't mind pushing.

If the action is c/b/c, you have a whole slew of options.

my focus here is more specifically with whether or not we should felt top set, not whether we should triple barrel it... the latter obviously limits our options tremendously, and doesn't really interest me.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:14 PM

so youre recommending felting top set on monotone boards every time you get c/r on the flop in 2bet pots pre? am I reading that correctly?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:09 PM

wtih 100bb in a 3bet pot, hu, I would have no problem at all felting top set on a monotone flop, against an aggressive thinking opponent. Against a very straight-forward opponent I'd have no problem taking a free card sometimes, and if I was check/called on the flop I'd take a free look on the turn quite often.

In a 3bet pot, folding top set to a c/r for 100bb hu would be a pure error against a good player (although how we, on the button, have the betting lead in a 3bet pot is kind of curious... complete-bet-raise pf?) since the c/r's range, at least, should occasionally include sets and naked nut blockers.

checking behind would be fine in this particular hypothetical, since it's what we'd probably often do with a decent range. Otherwise I think we're getting a bit off track, and I'm getting a bit confused as to what exactly the question is.

okay so i guess you were using "2bet pot" to mean "not 3bet pot", as opposed to "a pot that was bet and raised". Here as well I'd be fine felting top set against any opponent I thought could c/r bluff or c/r a set at least occasionally.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:45 PM

I'm not usually asking for this, but in this hand, I'm really curious about results... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 08:52 PM

I didn't read the other replies but I would imagine he has a q-high or J-high flush with a set here. Maybe QcTc8x8x, maybe? I think it's a fold.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't read the other replies but I would imagine he has a q-high or J-high flush with a set here. Maybe QcTc8x8x, maybe? I think it's a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think your read makes a ton of sense but brian has been losing a lot lately and brian does have tilt issues.

it really wouldnt surprise me if brian is over playing 888........going for a big pot knockout blow. it wouldnt surprise me that brian believes gordo has a flush and brian is trying to get lucky with a full house draw.

ive watched a few of these matches but i never saw this hand. i say gordo had him all the way.

and i'm still going with my twighlight zone read here and maybe putting brian on 2 red kings here too. i know, stupid read but i seen brian get really stupid when he tilts. the only difference between now and "then".......he doesnt suckout from the twighlight zone like he used to.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not usually asking for this, but in this hand, I'm really curious about results... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

im really interested too, couldnt find this one in his blog, even tho he posted a lot of hands vs gordo
Old 11-25-2007, 02:28 AM

I disagree with almost everything pete wrote, that he can expect you to have AA more often than the nut flush based on your flop action. I don't think you should always bet/3bet the flop with AA here, and I certainly don't like it if you don't tend to play the nut flush equally fast. Also, there are way more combos of Kcxc than of AAxx, and an aggressive player is opening most of them on the button. Also, AA is more likely to take a free card on the turn.

I think it's a clear call. You are priced in or very close if he always has a flush, so if he ever has less it becomes a must call.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:51 AM

I think a c/r on the turn after calling his flop raise is the best way to rep the nuts and probably how I would have played this hand. Snd if he's in a stubborn mood or tilting and still calls you down you have outs.