Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Driving the Ball 280 to 300.....Really???

I went to golftown today to hit a couple of clubs. on my best swing, the launch monitor had me hitting 314 with 301 carry and a 118 swing speed with the callaway FT-5, and I averaged over 300.

people just get too antsy about distance. the main reason I was there was to demo some irons with my uncle, who wants to replace his callaway X-16s. after hitting for awhile, we take a break to let this 50 something dude demo a driver. his swing looks decent but kind of feeble, and all of his shots are going less than 215 on the launch monitor. i guess he was embarassed because he started talking to my uncle about how he hits it 240 on the course every time, but the 'stupid machine' is giving him the wrong distance. i wish he had stuck around so I could complain about how the 'stupid machine' is only reporting my 350 drives as 315 (note: i have never hit a golf ball 350 yards in my life).
Old 10-07-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went to golftown today to hit a couple of clubs. on my best swing, the launch monitor had me hitting 314 with 301 carry and a 118 swing speed with the callaway FT-5, and I averaged over 300.

people just get too antsy about distance. the main reason I was there was to demo some irons with my uncle, who wants to replace his callaway X-16s. after hitting for awhile, we take a break to let this 50 something dude demo a driver. his swing looks decent but kind of feeble, and all of his shots are going less than 215 on the launch monitor. i guess he was embarassed because he started talking to my uncle about how he hits it 240 on the course every time, but the 'stupid machine' is giving him the wrong distance. i wish he had stuck around so I could complain about how the 'stupid machine' is only reporting my 350 drives as 315 (note: i have never hit a golf ball 350 yards in my life).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, good point maybe those launch monitors are part of the reason people have inflated distances. Everyone knows they juice those numbers to sell more clubs. As for the old guy, he probably hits it 180.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:19 PM

The launch monitors at golfsmith golfwhatever etc. retail stores all have their settings juiced up.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:27 PM

they probably do juice the numbers a bit (while i have hit it 315 in neutral conditions maybe twice in my life, they weren't in street clothes with a driver with tape on the face without having stretched at all), but they also aren't particularly accurate. for example the monitor usually has me hitting a soft draw, whereas i have hit, like, three soft draws with my driver all summer in nearly 30 rounds. also it had my uncle hitting shorter than he usually does (his good drives are about 240-260 and he couldn't break 230 on the machine).

as another point when I bought my 3 hybrid I was hitting it '245' on the machine and that is something that I have not come close to reproducing on a golf course, although distance is hardly the reason I bought that club [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 09:10 PM

I went in to a Golf Galaxy on a weekday, no one there, and hit drivers forever. I carried the majority of them 245 or more. It was a joke.

That being said, I think in my "not even close to a mod" opinion this thread is at the locking stage.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll bet anybody here any amount of money that I can carry the ball 325 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to Vancouver, I'll take that bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets book it. All I need is a relatively flat fairway, any wind is at my back and some decent weather. Give me 3-1 odds and I'll do it on the first attempt.

$100k sound good?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll bet anybody here any amount of money that I can carry the ball 325 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to Vancouver, I'll take that bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets book it. All I need is a relatively flat fairway, any wind is at my back and some decent weather. Give me 3-1 odds and I'll do it on the first attempt.

$100k sound good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now now, we would definitely have you hits some balls in one direction, then go to the other end and drive some balls in the opposite direction to minimise the effect of wind. I know of a flat two-way driving range at Swan-E-Set Resort just outside Vancouver that should be long enough for this. Only 1 shot seems like too much variance for both of us. I wouldnt want you to duff it and lose your money. And what's this wanting odds?

How about something like 5-10 shots in each direction? And we'll count an average? Hell, I'll even cut you some slack and give you anything over a 320 carry just in case the measurement is off a few yards.

On an unrelated note, where do you live?
Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 AM

Ah lol I just figured it out. Nice one Roy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I almost got hustled.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:21 PM

LOL @ ROY, nice one. Looking at those shoulders, I bet you could even carry an old Gutta Percha ball 325.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I went in to a Golf Galaxy on a weekday, no one there, and hit drivers forever. I carried the majority of them 245 or more. It was a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time I was at a Golf Galaxy, I found that the putting surfaces was rigged. If I hit the ball left of the hole and it would break right. If I hit the ball right of the hole, it would break left.

You couldn't see anything just by looking, but for all the holes, there were subtle channels to guide the ball towards the hole. Since most people are going to be putting from one hole to another hole, they can easily anticipate the paths that the ball will most often take, and then set up the channels appropriately.

Gee I guess I'll go plunk down $300 for this new putter, since I can't miss... OK maybe not.