Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf

Old 09-20-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Cheating FTW in Scramble tourneys, but I didn\'t know about it

My brother owns a well off property management firm and he sponsors some golf tourneys as well as gets invitations to other company golf tourneys from painters, realtors, etc.... We play decent, both 13 handicaps, but as the last tourney we played, he kept the score while I rode with the other random dude they paired us up with. As a 4 some we shot -8, but when they annouce the winners, suddenly we win by 2 strokes with 16 under!! I'd feel like a total jackass standing up in front of 200+ big shots saying the stats are fudged....so I just sat there and high fived my brother and acted like a winner. we did get some good prizes, free 4 some to private country club, trophy for lowest net, etc... but it just doesn't feel right..... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Cheating FTW in Scramble tourneys, but I didn\'t know about it

You should have been hanged...why would you even post this? You should've manned up and said the score was wrong.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have been hanged...why would you even post this? You should've manned up and said the score was wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it should go into psychology, but I'm there by invitation and his reputation as a vendor is on the line.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:21 PM

scummy
Old 09-20-2007, 05:02 PM

That's more than fudged. That's blatent cheating.
You shouldn't have accepted any prizes.
You should have a talk with your brother.
And you shouldn't play anymore scrambles with him.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it should go into psychology, but I'm there by invitation and his reputation as a vendor is on the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect his reputation may already be bad if he's in the habit of cheating like this.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame him for keeping his mouth shut considering the situation.

And jeebus ur partners were quite bold taking you from -8 to -16, haha
Old 09-20-2007, 06:26 PM

That's kinda LOL. I mean taking an extra mulligan here or there or using the "if it goes in it counts" rule on shots you don't plan to use* is one thing, but fudging EIGHT STROKES is quite another.

I've definitely been in groups that have taken liberties in hit-and-giggles AKA scrambles. The culprit is usually alcohol, we get a few drinks in us and it's like WTF who cares. One time many years ago we were fairly lit and really wanted to birdie the last hole, which was a par-3, but the first three of us missed. Well there was a guy stationed on the tee watching us, as it was a hole-in-one hole or something. So one of the guys had the bright idea that he would stand near the hole and if the fourth guy didn't make it, he would kick it in and we would have a fake celebration. He did, and we ended up winning by a stroke. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Not like the prizes were any good though, so it's not like we robbed anyone.

* 2+2 member TomE once told me of a time when he was playing in a scramble with a priest and they invoked that fraudulent rule, the priest was cool with it and they just went to the next tee. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 PM

Sometimes in these types of tourneys they play a Callaway scramble, which basically takes your score on a few holes and determines your "handicap". Then they apply that "handicap" to your actual score to arrive at your net score. This lets the teams that arent stacked with low handicaps to win at least a net prize. Maybe this is what you won?
Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect his reputation may already be bad if he's in the habit of cheating like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. I feel like you should have exposed him if he is this big of a cheater, for his own good.