Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: 200NL | When nits attack!.....other nits!

I'm always thinking about balance. In this spot, taking a fairly strong line against a player who I expect to be reasonably strong a decent amount of the time, I'll c/r playing trappy-ish with huge hands that can beat a lot of his big hands, as well as strong draws that aren't necessarily in awful shape when he has a huge hand.

Maybe balance is a subject for another thread; I feel like it's one of the reasons I'm as successful as I am, and I think it's important that I'm constantly putting other players in positions where they're making mistakes against certain, usually sizable parts of my range no matter which action they choose. I definitely see the point for there being situations where trying to balance your play doesn't really matter though.

Like, yesterday I squeezed AK in the blinds and a cold-caller on the button (52/10 donk, awful, hates folding, 170bbs deep or so) called. I led like 3/4 pot on a drawy, raggy flop, got minraised, and folded. In a vacuum this play is fairly horrible, but I felt comfortable making it at the time and am confident it was the right play, because:
- when I have an overpair there, I want action and intend to stack off
- I don't want to check here and make my hands more readable in the future
- Bet-folding will get me more action against him in the future because he will be more inclined to bluff at me.

Somewhat similar example, I guess.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:39 PM

everything is fine up to when your re-raised on the turn...

i see that as either a fold or all-in raise situation as by calling you have half you stack in the pot (committed)...the villain has min re-raised you which always seems a little fishy to me (many times its not i'll allow, i get felted but give felting more)...i would figure i would have 11 outs here...8 for the 2nd nut flush, 2 more for the straight, 1 for the top pair...so i'm about 25% to win if trailing...the pot at this point is the hand is $189, so we have the odds to call for $42...i would push right there

if you had not wanted to get all in on this hand, perhaps lower bets preflop, flop, or on the turn would have been in order--so on the flop i would have decided if i am going to go for it...
Old 09-13-2007, 05:02 PM

goof, will post more when im done playing.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
everything is fine up to when your re-raised on the turn...

i see that as either a fold or all-in raise situation as by calling you have half you stack in the pot (committed)...the villain has min re-raised you which always seems a little fishy to me (many times its not i'll allow, i get felted but give felting more)...i would figure i would have 11 outs here...8 for the 2nd nut flush, 2 more for the straight, 1 for the top pair...so i'm about 25% to win if trailing...the pot at this point is the hand is $189, so we have the odds to call for $42...i would push right there

if you had not wanted to get all in on this hand, perhaps lower bets preflop, flop, or on the turn would have been in order--so on the flop i would have decided if i am going to go for it...

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf
wtf
wtf
wtf
I could continue this endlessly
Old 09-13-2007, 05:29 PM

Goof,

Once again I have to say I don't like balancing by check/raising this turn because generally you shouldn't crai your strong hands on this type of board.

When it comes to the AK hand, I love check/folding the flop unless you think he's good enough to adjust postflop despite being an awfull donk. Most donks don't care and will still overplay their marginal hands vs you even if you don't give away money in a situation like this.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:30 PM

okay, on balance-
while i think is very important (and exceedingly so as you go up in limits), i'm not sure if it's applicable in this such hand. in most cases, other opponents will either a) not be at the table long enough to factor in your certain tendencies and what you do with xx hand instead of xx hand or b) they won't be paying attention/don't care.

your example seems fine in a vacuum- we play the same way to get paid when having both a monster/air. i also don't know if people are really exploiting a specific tendency (ie. if you had checked that AK hand, he's instantly betting, or if you always check he's instantly betting (he may be but that is beside the point) ).

that is when its time to just counter (ie. checking with strong hands/etc). but as stated, games these days (SSNL that is) hardly ever get to such history and dynamics (unless at a table with 4 regs with lots of hands on each). i think making the most +EV play at the time (in OP's case), i think c/c-ing the turn is best.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:37 PM

I think you CR ai on this turn because you have a ton of equity even when behind, and if you river the flush you're not going to get any action.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you CR ai on this turn because you have a ton of equity even when behind, and if you river the flush you're not going to get any action.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't have a ton of equity, we have like 12 outs once. And it's a backdoor flush if we hit it, why wouldn't we get any action? FWIW I'd c/r the river if I hit a flush (unless it paired the board in which case I'd probably bet/fold), and bet/fold if I rivered two pair. If I hit my gutshot, spade or not, I'd just bet/call the river.

Turn c/r makes no sense to me at all, and I also prefer c/c turn rather than betting on this specific card.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:33 PM
 is offline

goffyballer, on 4th street you said that you think he could have a set a lot, could you please elaborate. I play pretty nitty myself, if I was villain, I wouldt never just min raise with a set on that board, since there are so many possible combo draws out there.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 PM

BAM! C/R TURN AI IS JUSTIFIIIIIIED