Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

View Poll Results: I have listened to this song by myself and sung along and danced to it
Yes 116 31.27%
No 255 68.73%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Chantelle sucks (story involves sex with dogs and stuff, kinda)...

i lol'ed when i read your post.

look, ed, check out these definitions. i thought you were a writer? no offense intended, but there is a huge difference between the literal meaning of the word hustler and some of the scummy associations and connotations that commonly come to mind when it's used (thank hollywood for that). Personally, I never have thought of 'hustler' in a negative light. Perhaps that's a huge difference when considering this discussion.

hustler; an enterprising person determined to succeed;
go-getter.

opportunist; the policy or practice, as in politics, business, or one's personal affairs, of adapting actions, decisions, etc., to expediency or effectiveness regardless of the sacrifice of ethical principles.

source: dictionary.com

those were the first two defintions for each word, and as you can see, your word 'opportunist' is actually more unethical than 'hustler' at first glance.

now, i was not comparing chantel to gates or walton. please, lol. i was making a reference to the word hustler, b/c by many definitions, those men were hustlers, but they are not frowned upon in the same light that a woman working in the poker world is, regardless of success or fortune.

also, i want to say that your orginal definition of hustler well suits gates and walton. no one, and i do mean no one, achieves that kind of power and wealth through perfect ethical practices and is the sole doer of good deeds. i am not saying they are/were not great men, but they both are/were hustlers, cut throat and at times very unethical despite being genius in their doings.