Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

well TOP is the first pokerbook i bought and yeah it's a bit much at once but if your really interested it will open your eyes, especially for a beginner.

Well chicago i don't think it's a book for advanced players i think NLHT&P is more of an advanced book.

It seems to me it's better to read a theory book (TOP) first and then a strategy (HOH) book.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is driving me mad that some people have had this book read already and I can't get it. Barnes and Noble says that it is showing backorder for them. The girl I spoke with said that she didn't know how long it will take to get to them. I almost wish I hadn't cancelled my Amazon order now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Order through ProfessionalPoker.com today and you'll get it mid week.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:43 PM

My Amazon pre-order arrived today!
Old 07-31-2007, 03:04 PM

Remember this is a reviews only thread for this book please.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:26 PM

i havent yet read the book, ill probly pick it up when it hits stores out of pure curiosity, but from what ive read it seems like your recommending players to just raise big preflop so anytime u hit top pair u dont ever have to consider folding. basically play in a a manner which creates lower ev, but is easier. i find that pretty disappointing from a 2p2 book.

also are you guys seriously advocating limping ak? i would hate to see the results of anyone who applies this knowledge in todays online games from 2/4 to 10 20.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Nothing of what you said is in the book
Old 07-31-2007, 03:47 PM

I am about 100 pages in and enjoying it so far. I am still in the fundamentals section and it is explaining things very clearly and logically. I am excited to see what happens on more difficult concepts.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:49 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?

[ QUOTE ]
havent yet read the book, ill probly pick it up when it hits stores out of pure curiosity, but from what ive read it seems like your recommending players to just raise big preflop so anytime u hit top pair u dont ever have to consider folding. basically play in a a manner which creates lower ev, but is easier. i find that pretty disappointing from a 2p2 book.

also are you guys seriously advocating limping ak? i would hate to see the results of anyone who applies this knowledge in todays online games from 2/4 to 10 20.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are mistaken on many levels. They don't advocate doing anything all the time. They talk about AK and they never say always do the same thing.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i havent yet read the book ...

[/ QUOTE ]

It was all downhill from here.

Read it and then infer, not the other way around.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:05 PM

well some quotes from the book my friend is giving me over aim

friend: if you raise preflop so that your remaining stack in in a medium range, like 11 or 13 times the pot on the flop, it will be awkward to play a top pair or overpair hand.
friend: You can't get all-in fast enough to want to commit on the flop, but you aren't deep enough to feel good about letting it go.
friend: You bet near pot on flop and get called, or you bet pot and get raised you're basically making an all-in decision, but you don't have a whole lot of information to tell you whether you're committed or not.
friend: If you raise more so the spr is something like 4, you bet, get raised all-in and you have a no-brainer decision. KK overpair getting 3-1 to call all-in.

sounds like they are recommending exactly what i inferred, and i think thats a very bad way to approach poker. raising more cuts down their implied odds, but i fail to see how information matters since your just auto committing yourself. one thing that might be worth considering is, if you raise so big and bet the flop and get raised it might be easier to fold because a good villian is unlikely to raise with worse when your so committed.