Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 02:49 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 02-21-2006, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Quickest path for me to become a trader

I have a similiar question, but more specifically, how to become a market maker? Do I have to be a successful trader on my own first? What financial things do I have to know about, what markets? (e.g. options? currency markets?)
Old 02-21-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a similiar question, but more specifically, how to become a market maker? Do I have to be a successful trader on my own first? What financial things do I have to know about, what markets? (e.g. options? currency markets?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This may sound overly simplistic, but the best way to become a market maker is to try and get a job as an assistant trader with a firm that has a lot of market makers.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:25 PM

My old boss had a funny line. When Leslie Quick came in to wish us a happy holidays - We didn't know this when he first walked in (Quick and Reilly) We said, "What's he doing here?
My boss said "He wants to know why a guy with a fourth grade education makes more money than he does." He was talking about himself.

To be a market maker does not require much in the way of education. To get onto a trading desk at a sell side firm often requires an MBA.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to get into trading at some point. Trading not in the pits but I want to trade with a firms money (so i guess this would likely be at a hedge fund or ??)-I think this is called a 'prop trader'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Traders at prop firms generally put up some of their own capital in return for access to a significantly larger amount of margin buying power than they would be able to get on their own. The firm may also require you to go thru a training process (as well as take the series 7 exam). Additionally, you will likely have someone reviewing your risk management on an ongoing basis. The more successful you are, the larger amount of capital they will give you access to.

Bright Trading is one of the most well known prop firms!

fwiw... Chris "Jesus" Ferguson is a Bright Trader.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:03 PM

Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 PM

Degen... Goldman would be a trading JOB, not really propping! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Big difference!
Old 02-21-2006, 11:13 PM

Old 02-22-2006, 05:27 PM

Degen, I would think that you would want to trade more in the style of your poker career, bankrolling yourself, keeping all of your profits, learning on your own or from a mentor/coach, and not becoming a corporate slave :-p Trading and poker are very psychologically similar activities, and I think you will find that you are already way ahead of the game in two of the three most important aspects of trading: psychology and bankroll management. The third aspect is what you (and I) need to work on, which is learning about the market and trading strategies. Personally I think that I would do better to find my own way, but if you think working with a firm suits you better than good luck to you!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Degen... Goldman would be a trading JOB, not really propping! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Big difference!

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect. Goldman has plenty of traders taking proprietary risk with the firm's money. So do virtually all the other major financial firms.

My advice: pool together a list of everyone you know who is in anyway connected to either the major firms (like goldman) or the hedge fund community. Begin to network with these people and work your way in the door this way.

An MBA helps, but isn't a prerequisite to successful trading. If anything, go for your CFA.