Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Re: What will make you happy?

Financial Independance
Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 AM

I'm posting without reading responses, but I'd just like to share that I am truly happy as a person who has been married about a year and a half now, and kids are not yet on the horizon. So for me it was enough to find the perfect girl to share my life with.

FWIW I think that it's also possible to be happy without having a woman. Two of my best friends here in Vegas are both single and as far as I know are happy.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 AM

pretty deep question, not sure if anyone really knows. my wife is a psychologist and her institution was part of a study of buddhist monks. these dudes are incredibly happy. some of their brainscans make it look like they are constantly in a state of bliss. what they do is meditate on what is good in life and sorta just tell themselves they are happy/content. they train their brain to be happy. its also called cognitive behavioral therapy it think. not sure because hearing my wife yap about it all day pisses me off...lol.

personally, freedom makes me happy. pretty much everything in my life is geared towards being able to say fuq you to whomever i want, except my wife which causes me alot of angst at times.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:13 AM

A wife and children, healthy and very comfortable.

But that is so misleading.

It starts with a very special girl. I'm so picky about people. I prefer to be alone than in the company of most other people. I've had the opportunity to sleep with plenty of girls, but passed (in the last two years) b/c i'm through getting involved with a woman (at this point in my life) that I wouldn't marry one day (or potentially).

I'd like for my children to be my lifes work. I think that I will be happy in the near future when I find a girl I want to pursue a relationship with, and I get to consume that.

The problem I've found is that I've found exactly one girl in the last six months that fit that bill and I'm still trying to recover from the pain I'm feeling from her walking out of my life in the beginning of what felt like an awesome relationship.

For all of us this question will be summed up by having a wonderful partner, plenty of money, and success in our ventures.

Those are the primary issues.

Of course you can go into great detail about each, and dive into others, but I think the above is what makes most of us happy, and it is cheaply counterfeited much too often and thus the 'dream' is just a forced perception that only mirrors what most people want, and in reality it is a make shift attempt at achieving that dream w/o having the true foundation for it to exist on. Superficialities and shallow virtues plague this opportunity for most.

-Tex
Old 01-30-2007, 02:15 AM

Divorce rate in Western Countries >50%. I guess all those perfect girls werent so perfect afterall.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Divorce rate in Western Countries >50%. I guess all those perfect girls werent so perfect afterall.

[/ QUOTE ]

who says the women are the problem?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 AM

I am pretty sure I would be happy if I were able to snowboard 100 days per year and had a cute girl to spend time with. I guess I agree with Yeti.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 AM

Quote Camus "Likewise and during everyday of an unillustrious life, time carries us. But a moment always comes when we have to carry it. We live on the future: "tomorrow", "later on", "when you have made your way", "you will understand when you are old enough". Such irrelevances are wonderful, for, afterall, it's a matter of dying... Tomorrow, he was longing for tomorrow, whereas everything in him ought to reject it."
Old 01-30-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who says the women are the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to imply that. I just meant that some guy feeling unhappy now because he hasnt met Mrs. Perfect might be disappointed in the future when he finds out there is so such thing as a perfect marriage.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:31 AM

I think its interesting that so many people think kids will make them happy. I sort of think this too and its probably the basic reason the human race is still around and reproducing so rapidly, but most studies seem to agree that the period between having kids, and the kids leaving the house, is actually the most unhappy time in most peoples lives.