Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 AM

Default Re: NL50 Am I too weak tight?

hand 1 is pretty meh, i might flip a coin and call the river. i don't mind how it was played.

hand two I probably raise the flop a good portion of the time.

does anyone else notice a trend of players at this level basically donking out for 1/2 pot on 3 streets when they hit a set oop?
Old 08-05-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why raise the flop in hand #1??????????

call is a good play, I like the turn check and the river fold

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.

Unless we have a read that villian will stack off very light there is no reason to riase his flop donk. We have have position... with a dry board this is a good spot to excerise some pot control.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:35 AM

god raising the flop in one is UGLY. i think that one is def fine. 2 sucks because you gotta raise that flop.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:48 AM

First hand is perfect, the flop is so dry that he really can't be donking here with anything but a set, 2pr, or top pair or air. The river bet is too large I think, though you should def look out for a tendency to bet pot in the future. For christs sake don't raise the flop it bloats a pot that we want to keep small and his calling range slaughters our TPGK
Old 08-05-2007, 01:16 AM

I don't really understand those of you advocating the call of the flop in hand 1.... I don't see the benefits to simply calling. I understand not wanting to get commited with TP2K, and that's all well and good. But if we don't want to get commited with a marginal holding like that shouldn't we fold the flop, not call? Also, if we aren't willing to play TP2K very strong, shouldn't we not even be raising with KQo UTG? Maybe I'm missing something, and I'd love to here more why people think calling is the correct play. Calling really doesn't make any sense to me.

Also, I don't understand why we wouldn't bet that turn after calling the flop. If villian was looking to CR, wouldn't he have done it on the flop expecting us to C-Bet. A CR by the villian on the turn makes no sense to me, he has no reason to expect us to bet. So won't his check say "I'm weak" not "I've got a monster and I'm going to CR you" more often than not? If that's the case, isn't this a spot we have to bet if we want to win this pot?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:47 AM

Madison - I agree. Specifically about this point: If we're scared to play a Q-high flop with this hand, why are we raising it UTG? What if a K hand come? Would we then be afraid of AK?

I think the river donk is just trying to push you off the hand. I see it often from donks on FTP.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand those of you advocating the call of the flop in hand 1.... I don't see the benefits to simply calling. I understand not wanting to get commited with TP2K, and that's all well and good. But if we don't want to get commited with a marginal holding like that shouldn't we fold the flop, not call? Also, if we aren't willing to play TP2K very strong, shouldn't we not even be raising with KQo UTG? Maybe I'm missing something, and I'd love to here more why people think calling is the correct play. Calling really doesn't make any sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not that we are afraid of being behind when we get donked into on the flop (hence no one suggested folding), it's that we are not getting value from many worse hands is we raise. Additonally, the board is very dry, so we don't have to worry about giving a "cheap" card.

As an ex, if villian leads into us with QJ/Q10/A8 he will most likely fold to a raise. However if we raise the flop donk, we are def getting action from sets & 2 pair hands.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 AM

A raise on the flop in hand 1 is horrible imo.
Why, because very little if anything calls us that we beat. Do you think he calls with mp here? What about a queen, QJ yeah a possiblilty, QT, depends on how big a donk he is but I doubt he donks with these hands, I think a c/r is much more likely with a queen
The board is so dry that calling is clearly the better play and I don't think it's close either.

Hand 2 on the other hand I do raise flop as hands like tens, jacks, a9 maybe and draws will call us.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:35 AM

If the reason we aren't raising is that we want to extract value when we are good, not because we fear we are beat, then don't we have to either bet the turn or at least call the river? What value is there to calling a pot sized bet on the flop only to fold to a pot sized bet on a later round (especially after the villian gave us a chance to take the pot on the turn)?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the reason we aren't raising is that we want to extract value when we are good, not because we fear we are beat, then don't we have to either bet the turn or at least call the river? What value is there to calling a pot sized bet on the flop only to fold to a pot sized bet on a later round (especially after the villian gave us a chance to take the pot on the turn)?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can def make a case for calling the river bet...as played (w/o reads) I dont think its unreasonable. My bigger point was about why not raising the flop is the best play here. Unless we know the villian is a major donk who will stack off very light, TPGK is a hand I want to play a medium size pot with and not necessarily get my whole satck in the middle.