Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Probably stupid baseball hypothetical...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How hard would a fastball have to be to be more or less unhittable without movement and only average location (ie some pitches on the corners but some catch a lot of the plate).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty good physics question, actually. I would assume that it would have to be fairly high, considering if all you saw as a batter was a 105 mph fastball on the plate, you could do pretty well.

I'm a random 23 year old guy that can easily destroy 90 mph batting practice fastballs in the cages, so I have no real idea from an anecdotal standpoint on how fast it would have to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

90 mph? No friging way if you are a "random" guy, did you at least play HS baseball or something of that sort? Or at least you are a very good athlete, I don't even know where you are hitting at batting cages that go 90mph (pretty sure most public ones top out at 75).

He's probably out of the league now but I'm pretty sure Billy Koch used to hit over 105 on the radar gun and he was an effective closer for a couple of years. Not sure what the upper bounds of arm strength are, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Billy Koch would top out at 100-101, nowhere near 105. Zumaya reportedly hit 103, as did a lefty who used to be in the Giants organization named Eric Threets. Jason Neighborgall has hit as high as 102, but doesn't really have the requisite "accuracy". Sidd Finch was an April Fools Day hoax created by Sports Illustrated