Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Isolation 3-bet range?

1/2 6m, seat on my right is a 98/48/1.0 after 50 hands, with an 18% win at showdown. Rest of table is decent-TAG, with preflop stats averaging 25/10. My image is similar at the table.

Suppose you are the cutoff, and the fish has open-raised. BB is a 20/18, no postflop read yet. What is your 3-betting range?

Am I right to think that since he raises 50% of hands, 3-betting our top 25% means we're ahead of his range? It seems we're +EV to play anything ahead of the midpoint of his range. Is that too tight, since we're better postflop also and have position?

-Curtis
Old 08-12-2006, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Isolation 3-bet range?

You don't want to just pick the top 25% of hands, you need hands with showdown value. Even though it fairs decently against his range I'm coldcalling with stuff like JTs because we need to hit something to win. 3 betting any ace and any pair isn't going to be far off.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:10 PM

I 3bet any ace, any pair, any two broadway, any K8+, and probably some other stuff. This guy probably spews just as badly postflop as he does preflop, it shouldn't be hard to make a huge range profitable. I'd be expecting to make some K-high showdowns and win.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I 3bet any ace, any pair, any two broadway, any K8+, and probably some other stuff. This guy probably spews just as badly postflop as he does preflop, it shouldn't be hard to make a huge range profitable. I'd be expecting to make some K-high showdowns and win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play this situation very similar to RunDown here.

-Caddy
Old 08-12-2006, 04:07 PM

Also, while I'm going to be isolating very light and calling down very light, I'm not going to be doing a whole lot of raising light postflop. You can't outLAG a maniac.