Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: An awesome way to lengthen papers

i like how he thinks it is amazing that the longer your paper, the more pages you add when using this trick.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:21 AM

roadhead, im glad u changed ur avatar
Old 09-14-2007, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This trick really isn't that great. If you look closely, the reason enlarging periods makes your paper longer is because it increases the size of lines (like, instead of having 24 lines of text per page, you will have 22 lines of text per page.) It provides the same results as increasing the space in between your lines (ie instead of double spacing you papers, you make it 2.1 space).

Point is, if your teacher is looking for cheaters, you will still get caught.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, what a nit. this is an awesome tip. i believe every student that wants to get caught should watch this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-14-2007, 07:36 AM

Is this a US thing? Because certainly here in the UK there are 2 reasons this 'tip' is pointless:

1) Paper lengths are given in words, not pages (since this is clearly more sensible)
2) Papers have maximujm lengths, not minimums - the people reading it have better things to do than read pages of drivel padded out with more drivel. Standard statement - 'I read essays, I don't weigh them'.

Is this just a cultural thing?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
roadhead, im glad u changed ur avatar

[/ QUOTE ]

was it really that bad lol!
Old 09-14-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a US thing? Because certainly here in the UK there are 2 reasons this 'tip' is pointless:

1) Paper lengths are given in words, not pages (since this is clearly more sensible)
2) Papers have maximujm lengths, not minimums - the people reading it have better things to do than read pages of drivel padded out with more drivel. Standard statement - 'I read essays, I don't weigh them'.

Is this just a cultural thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this trick for my macroeconomics class, I'll let you guys know if I get caught, also I have never had a maximum length for a paper, it has always been a minimum.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:59 PM

Guys, sorry, but we don't really care how long the paper is as long as it close to the specified length. I've never penalized a student for writing too little when the writing is well done. If it's good, it's good. An extra page or so isn't going to impress anyone, and if it does, perhaps you should consider finding other teachers.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, sorry, but we don't really care how long the paper is as long as it close to the specified length. I've never penalized a student for writing too little when the writing is well done. If it's good, it's good. An extra page or so isn't going to impress anyone, and if it does, perhaps you should consider finding other teachers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a lot of us use this to meet the minimum requirements. I used it for a paper due today where the requirement was 4-5 pages. I had about 3.5, and the period trick bumped it to 4. It's not going to bump anyone's paper up a letter grade, but it really helps out those of us who want to meet the page requirement without repeating ourselves for a few extra paragraphs.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 AM

honestly, you're profs aren't idiots. they also aren't going to fail you for turning in 3.5 pgs on a 4-5. just turn it in the way it is. (side note, who the [censored] assigns a 4-5 page paper? how the hell can you develop a thesis in that little space?)
Old 09-19-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i blame teachers for putting all the emphasis on page length and never writing quality. in every writing class i've ever had (research papers) there was more emphasis than you could possibly imagine on proper citing and how to quote. pretty fugging retarded