Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: $60s - lvl 1 - the limping revolution will not be televised

[ QUOTE ]

What happens if you raise to t60 and the SB reraises to t140? its much more awkward a situation than if you limp and the SB makes it t80-100...

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold
Old 03-02-2006, 04:09 PM

I would be much more tempted to limp this in a speed/turbo, since if you hit your hand you may get great value on it.

Also, building a stack takes on greater importance in turbos (at least I think so).

So I think that limp is fine. And you are right to not antagonize the blinds so early. IMO
Old 03-02-2006, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll end up getting a spite push at BB150 because of some [censored] I started in lvl 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about this too much. If your opponent is bad, there are so many hands between now and when the blinds are 150 that your opponent will have forgotten all about it. If your opponent is good, he won't even consider these two situations to be in the same ballpark and won't care what you did in L1.

I think a raise is better than a limp mainly because it will help define your hand and your opponent's hand later and will cause a caller to give you more respect later. Plus, you will have position on anybody but the button.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well if they have AT, call your raise and the flop comes 67T, yu have a better chance to stack them than if you limp and they have T4. Even donks can get away from that a lot of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's because they have AT and not T4, not because you raised

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, but the idea is that by raising you thin the field to people who actually fight, even get stacked, if they hit their hand. You weed out people you wouldn't have made much money off of anyway. And eliminate the chance they hit a trash 2P or something to your top pair and take some money from you. That's the tought anyway.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's more about mixing up your play than going for the blinds. If you ALWAYS open limp sooted connectors and ALWAYS open raise AK and other good hands, then you become predictable. Throw in some random open-raises with JTs and 98s once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think being predictable in the turbos matters all that much. In the 55s I might see 2 or 3 people I know, but that is it usually. If they are an observant player who knows your style they are also a lot less likely to double you up with top pair.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:33 PM

I like a limp or a raise here say 50% of the time. A good point was brought up about buying position. Additionally, if the flop comes something like AK9 you can represent the ace when it is checked to you especially if you were the raiser.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens if you raise to t60 and the SB reraises to t140? its much more awkward a situation than if you limp and the SB makes it t80-100...

[/ QUOTE ]

Call and thank them for giving you implied odds to crack their big pocket pair. If they raise to 240, fine, they can have it, but for every time they "re-steal" when you have 98s, there's going to be another time when you have AA and do the exact same preflop action.

Aggression, in general, is good. The more opportunities you present for your opponents to make a mistake, the more often they will screw up. Limping in LP is just so weak...how are you making things difficult for anyone?

And, as of yet, I've seen no correlation between harrassing the blinds early and not being able to get a good steal in late. If anything, those who feel the need to loosely defend their blind tend to be the ones who aren't around at the end anyway.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, but the idea is that by raising you thin the field to people who actually fight, even get stacked, if they hit their hand. You weed out people you wouldn't have made much money off of anyway. And eliminate the chance they hit a trash 2P or something to your top pair and take some money from you. That's the tought anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

But in this instance you don't want to weed people out, surely you're playing to catch straight or flush opportunities so the hands like 10-4 which may hit a disguised 2 pair are the ones you want in. The more the merrier right?
Old 03-02-2006, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But my point about raising is I don't want to get the blinds all riled up and defensive now, thinking I'm picking on them for their measly chips, since I will want to be stealing from them later. I'll end up getting a spite push at BB150 because of some [censored] I started in lvl 1. A lot of these guys don't think "20 chips, let it go". They watch a lot of WPT and think you have the defend your blinds, no matter how small. Can't send a message that you're a wuss who won't defend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its good to identify who is likely to defend their blinds, so you can avoid them later when blind stealing gets important
Old 03-02-2006, 05:39 PM

Also what Venetian said, the people that defend their blinds at level 1 is often not around when we wanna steal.