Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: DEF
New ENGLAND vs. DET 6 85.71%
Tampa @ PIT 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Don\'t come home until u is sobern! (NC Thread)

[ QUOTE ]
lol ozzies!! it's a holiday in the states. wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. we get to party and you are at the workz workin on work thingz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111 1111111111111111onhundredeleven11!!! party in the USAAAAAAAA <--=-added for emphasis

chers,
buzz

<font color="white">lol</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
For anyone who might not be aware it's probably worth explaining the origins of Veteran's Day. Veteran's Day was originally Armistice Day, a memorial to the end of fighting in the Great War (WWI). The Great War armistice occurred on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, in other words November 11th. This is a day of great significance in the UK, France and Belgium. In the US we also celebrated it but at some time in the intervening years it became a day to honor all of our soldiers and it got moved to the nearest convenient Monday in November. Certainly meaningful but no longer as specific.

Aussies and New Zealanders also find significance in the day, no doubt, but they hold their most significant memorials on a different day - 25 April, known as ANZAC Day. That date memorializes the landings of ANZAC troops on the Gallipoli pensinsula in 1915 and the horrific losses they suffered in bitter, gallant, and ultimately fruitless fighting. Like Veteran's Day for us it has also been extended to soldiers lost in other wars but the original reason for the day remains more significant.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 AM

Nice hand.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:21 PM

In Germany, November 11th at 11:11am marks beginning of Carnival Season. Party!!!! Ah, the memories.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aussies and New Zealanders also find significance in the day, no doubt, but they hold their most significant memorials on a different day - 25 April, known as ANZAC Day. That date memorializes the landings of ANZAC troops on the Gallipoli pensinsula in 1915 and the horrific losses they suffered in bitter, gallant, and ultimately fruitless fighting.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Aussies and Kiwis fighting in Gallipoli did indeed fight very galantly, at times against very bad odds. Unfortunately the British planning and leading the operation did such a bad job. If the leadership had been any better the ANZACs would have marched on Istanbul and would have taken Turkey out of the first world war. BBC has made a very good documentary on WWI called The Great War and is available on dvd, I highly recommend it.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thx Matt. FYI I installed it and it didnt find any spyware. apparently spybot is better than I thought

[/ QUOTE ]

Or Defender is worse than spybot.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:05 PM

I use spybot along w/ Ad-Aware SE, they seem to do a decent job.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:07 PM

I don't think there is a perfect spyware hunter out there. Many of the "best" programs miss things that are caught by "inferior" programs. I use AdAware, which you can get at www.lavasoft.de It's pretty good at catching a few things that ZoneAlarm doesn't.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many soldiers were in the american army when they joined WWI

[/ QUOTE ]
b: I knew the answer to the poll instantly without looking it up
b: because I spent my formative years being a hopeless nerd instead of learning how to charm the fairer sex
v: I have to work today
Old 11-12-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol ozzies!! it's a holiday in the states. wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. we get to party and you are at the workz workin on work thingz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111 1111111111111111onhundredeleven11!!! party in the USAAAAAAAA &lt;--=-added for emphasis

chers,
buzz

<font color="white">lol</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
For anyone who might not be aware it's probably worth explaining the origins of Veteran's Day. Veteran's Day was originally Armistice Day, a memorial to the end of fighting in the Great War (WWI). The Great War armistice occurred on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, in other words November 11th. This is a day of great significance in the UK, France and Belgium. In the US we also celebrated it but at some time in the intervening years it became a day to honor all of our soldiers and it got moved to the nearest convenient Monday in November. Certainly meaningful but no longer as specific.

Aussies and New Zealanders also find significance in the day, no doubt, but they hold their most significant memorials on a different day - 25 April, known as ANZAC Day. That date memorializes the landings of ANZAC troops on the Gallipoli pensinsula in 1915 and the horrific losses they suffered in bitter, gallant, and ultimately fruitless fighting. Like Veteran's Day for us it has also been extended to soldiers lost in other wars but the original reason for the day remains more significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good FYP! My post was sort of tongue-in-cheek (plus drunkern)...also apologies to the USA'ians who are working today.

Side note: is anyone an avid(ish) skier? I have some questions, if you can aim me: copremesa

Buzz
Old 11-12-2007, 03:26 PM

Feeling a bit under the weather today, so I might get under the covers early tonight.

The answer to my poll earlier is 80,000. (I voted "Bastard....." to avoid giving the answer away and to keep the trend of almost always voting Bastard).

The "last straw" that made US join in the fun of WWI was a message from Germany to Mexico and Japan promising them large parts of US territory if they would join them against the US. US may very well have joined anyway, but perhaps not so fast if that message had not been intercepted.

The 80,000 is the reason it took US rather long to send over troops to Europe, they simply hadn't anybody to send, they needed to send millions through bootcamp first.