Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: turning a hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If it was a tournament then his hand would be dead...

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder if I'll live long enough to see the day that people stop saying that.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, because there are places in the world where this is true. The folks posting it are probably completely correct about what will happen in their favorite poker room. It takes a while reading 2+2 to come to fully realize how very different the rules are in various venues.

Only place in Vegas I know this used to be the rule was Mirage. I haven't played a tourney there since Caesars opened, I don't think. But used to be, anyway, that each table would get a warning. First time a hand was exposed prematurely Richard would march up, huff and puff and give a little lecture and announce "next time this happens at this table the hand is dead". So all the regulars knew you got one freebie, so if the freebie hadn't been used at your particular table and you felt a crying need to show your cards, you could do it once per tournament. No clue if it still works this way at Mirage, but it was sometimes downright comical to watch players almost race to see who could use the freebie first.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i made a bet on the flop in a 2/5 heads up the other guy moves all in and turns over pocket kings and sits back.and ask wat r u doin he said do u want to play or not? the dealer said it was fine to do that. anyone see or hear of this before?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be thanking players like this every day. How often do you get such great, free information?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've often wanted to do it when I have aces, because they are usually the kiss of death. I'd be content with winning the small pre-flop pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I told this story once but it seems to kinda fit...

Playing NL and one guy has been sucked out on over and over. He's frustrated and is on his 3rd buy-in. So the flop comes out on a hand where he's first to act and he's got like $200 left. There's $80 in the pot and 4 players saw the flop. He says "sorry, but I have a theory and I have to test it" and he turns face up something like JJ on a JT6 flop and announces "all-in". Fold, fold, CALL! Turn and river come out and the player who called triumphantly turns over the flush draw or straight draw that he hit. JJ shakes his head, says "yep, that's what I thought", and walks away.

Don't be surprised if you turn AA face up as you announce "all-in" and get called. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I have to do it pre-flop, so everyone knows they are behind. Some people think 4 to a flush or a straight is always a call no matter what.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:42 PM

This is awesome. I've seen almost as bad as that AA vs. KK & KK hand, where a guy shoved with QQ on a T744 board, exposed his hand and got called by JT because he was "committed" and had 5 outs. Needless to say, he wasn't getting 21 to 1 pot odds.