Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:48 AM

Default Re: So I\'m getting screwed by a bookie. Ideas?

the problem with taking this to the authorites.. do you have any proof he booked the bets for you? I'm assuming he doesn't fax u a receipt for your 80k worth of bets.

I agree with performity how do you let this get to 80k unless that was 1 week of action.

Seems like a win/win situation for him not paying u. He gets to keep the 80k, and u can't do much about it unless you resort to something illegal.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:06 AM

maybe this guy can help you collect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMHtA1AUQ9o
Old 11-15-2007, 05:23 AM

I can't imagine that taking it to the police could be in the least bit helpful.
He's probably busted so I really don't know how you are going to be able to collect.

Had a roommate several years ago who ran hot with his bookie and we also had a couple neighbors who places bets through him who also ran hot.
Then the bookie skipped town still owing my roommate around $10k...a couple of thousand of which were supposed to go to the neighbors who were mighty ticked and were ready to take it out on the roomie. They were somewhat suspicious that he was just keeping the dough himself but I am pretty sure he wasn't based on how really freaking scared he was and also a couple of his phone convos which I don't believe he knew I overheard.
Since he didn't even know where this guy went I'm pretty sure he never got paid.
gg $10k.

Anyway, bookies skipping town when they are in deep is all too standard I suspect. And if they don't have the money to pay you then it's not like it's going to magically appear just because you are really ticked about not getting paid.

My hunch is that it is going to be an awful amount of work to get this guy to cough up even a fraction of what is owed.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 AM

in todays world, what is the point of using a bookie anyway? I can line shop from the privacy of my home, I can make a bet in my boxers, and I know the sites that I have money on aren't going to stiff me if I happen to win.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:47 AM

Since from what I'm reading you have ruled out violence I don't believe you have many options. I have been in a similar boat twice ($9k in 94 and $58k in 98) and I had to write both of them off.

With a local guy you want to make sure he is laying off to someone further up the food chain. I found a guy in 98 who adheres to this strictly and have not had an issue since. The worst he has done is show up 2 hours late once.

In 98 I let it go because I was still in law school and still not sure about a lot of things. If that situation happened now I wouldn't hesitate. My response would be to start with property damage and then progress to physical harm. If he has any ability to pay he'll pay up as soon as he realizes you are serious but odds are you'll get very little if any of it.

The only way I'd consider removing violence from the table is if the guy was laying off to someone who got busted and I could independently confirm that.

Think of it this way if you lost and didn't pay what do you think he'd do to collect?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:56 AM

Daliman,

For as smart as you seem to be, you really make some stupid decisions.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Think of it this way if you lost and didn't pay what do you think he'd do to collect?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's a good idea to suggest that he does what the other guy would do. Like MicroBob said, the bookie is probably broke and in the hole. People change when they're desperate and backed into a corner. I know if I had a family, I would approach this guy in a way that would keep them farr from any danger. I hate to sound morbid, but people have killed for much less than $80k and I wouldn't want to put a lowlife bookie to the test.

Also, Performify is 100% right.. you never should have let the debt grow so big.
On that note... Dali, you need to stop putting so much trust into people. I mean, look at this. This is a big real life leak that you need to plug.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:35 AM

wow daliman - stop loaning/giving money to everyone and stop being so trusting of everyone. You may end up mostly writing off the $80k that the bookie owes you because he possibly can't pay anyway and you really aren't willing to do anything too sketchy/dangerous to try to get it.
And I'm guessing that a lot of the other money you 'loaned' out in that other thread hasn't been paid back either.

You need to hang on to all your money like a true nit. And this means not loaning anyone a freaking dime. Seriously, this is a real problem.

I also fail to understand how you let the bookie loan get up to $80k. I mean, after you got to $30k or $40k or whatever and he still hadn't paid you might stop thinking, "I know he's good for it. Lets bet another $2k on the Packers."

It's possible that the reason he continued to take your action even though he was already in too deep was so that maybe you could run cold and he could get it back to even or something.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 AM

I wouldn't make any threats that would provoke physical retaliation from the bookie. Money just isn't worth putting yourself or family in danger.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I also fail to understand how you let the bookie loan get up to $80k. I mean, after you got to $30k or $40k or whatever and he still hadn't paid you might stop thinking, "I know he's good for it. Lets bet another $2k on the Packers."

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sure the extra bets where rebetting unpaid winnings, its not like he he was owed 40k, and handed the booked 20kmore... at least I hope not.

So its not quite as bad as it seems.