Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Write a Brief Dissenting Opinion About a Popular Title Thread.

But the way the plot's written, I feel compelled to close them all. What kind of hero ignores the flaming portal to hell when they ride by it? The whole open ended nature of the game is at total odds with the plot.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But the way the plot's written, I feel compelled to close them all. What kind of hero ignores the flaming portal to hell when they ride by it? The whole open ended nature of the game is at total odds with the plot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm saying is that closing all the portals is a sidequest like any other side quest. Plus, who says you need to play a hero? I have a dark elf vampire that is ridiculously powerful and that 'character' wouldn't close the portals anyway.

I really liked this game because you can go do the linear plot or you can do any amount of sidequests. I don't see how they contradict eachother...

That being said I know it isn't the best game ever as the levelling system kind of sucks (because you can manipulate it so much) and the monsters level up w/ you. I do like that you can control the difficulty on the fly and you don't have to touch the main quest. I am not even close to finishing this game because all I've been doing is side quests.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:26 PM

I think the reason the levelling system sucks is because it encourages you to manipulate it. If you don't cheat the system you end up sucking while all the monsters kick your ass.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the reason the levelling system sucks is because it encourages you to manipulate it. If you don't cheat the system you end up sucking while all the monsters kick your ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tweaking the difficulty really gets around this, I usually tweak it every couple of hours depending on what I'm doing and where my character is at.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gave up on Oblivion when I realized that he game was at it's core, just closing Hellgates over and over again, and they were all too similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC you don't have to clear more than a few of the Oblivion gates to beat the game. And once I cleared a bunch of the gates I didn't feel like that much of an [censored] for leaving others be [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I also hated the levelling system (prob mentioned that before) and another consideration w/ it is that it only takes level into account. For example, I was largely struggling against a lot of monsters at whatever level I was at, and then I went off and started doing the Daedric Shrine quests. After doing a few of those and becoming equipped with Goldbrand and a bunch of other baller equipment, I was laying waste to everything in my path and combat was no longer much of a challenge. The system ignores the fact that different characters at the same level can have completely different strengths.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 PM

For you guys that dont like the levelling system in Oblivion, there are many mods that will fix. The best imo is Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. This is a pretty massive mod that does a whole lot more than just change the levelling system. The sheer number of mods for this game is staggering and greatly adds to the replay value of it.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For you guys that dont like the levelling system in Oblivion, there are many mods that will fix. The best imo is Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. This is a pretty massive mod that does a whole lot more than just change the levelling system. The sheer number of mods for this game is staggering and greatly adds to the replay value of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is great if you have it on PC [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is great if you have it on PC [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is that... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 06:33 PM

That brings up something that's bothered me about x-platform development on PC and X360: WHY ARE DEVS NOT MAKING 360 GAMES MODDABLE? Xbox Live is a dynamic platform which could infinitely extend the lifetime of any game by, say, freely distributing a level editor or SDK or whatever on PC. People could then make their own levels or mods or what have you and submit them to the developers, who could (with minimal effort) perform quality control on whatever people are submitting and put the best submissions up for free download on Xbox Live, thus infinitely extending the life of their product with no work on their part. WHY IS THIS A BAD IDEA? HOW ARE PEOPLE NOT DOING THIS ALREADY???

As much as I love HD gaming it [censored] kills me that when I buy a 360 game I'm pretty much getting what's in the box and nothing more (with the exception of a DLC pack or two down the road for more popular titles). PC gaming allows for so much extensibility by the user community and the foundation is there for this to happen on 360 as well, but NONE OF THE DEVELOPERS ARE [censored] USING IT. Bungie is taking a step in the right direction by including Forge in Halo 3 but there's only so much you can do with that, and using the same kind of PC tools (yes, even if they might scare some of the noobs with technical complexity) will result in much better work done by the community.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That brings up something that's bothered me about x-platform development on PC and X360: WHY ARE DEVS NOT MAKING 360 GAMES MODDABLE? Xbox Live is a dynamic platform which could infinitely extend the lifetime of any game by, say, freely distributing a level editor or SDK or whatever on PC. People could then make their own levels or mods or what have you and submit them to the developers, who could (with minimal effort) perform quality control on whatever people are submitting and put the best submissions up for free download on Xbox Live, thus infinitely extending the life of their product with no work on their part. WHY IS THIS A BAD IDEA? HOW ARE PEOPLE NOT DOING THIS ALREADY???

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be hell trying to sift through all the crap that people would send in. I think developers would rather sell you a new game.