Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 06:17 AM

Default What\'s your range?

Ok, it's getting to the business end of a 116 entrant MTT, 8 seat tables, with 16 players left, 10 of which will cash.

You're UTG, stacks are as follows, with $500/$1000 blinds, no ante.

SB sitting in seat 3 with $3545.98
BB sitting in seat 4 with $5625.00
HERO sitting in seat 5 with $3198.00
UTG+1 sitting in seat 6 with $16094.82
MP sitting in seat 7 with $3287.14
LP sitting in seat 8 with $6950.00
CO sitting in seat 1 with $6839.77
Button sitting in seat 2 with $17180.12

Is pushing any two here a no brainer? What are the merits of waiting until the next hand and blindly pushing from the BB regardless of action?

For example, you have 62o in this spot, do you push?
Old 04-12-2007, 07:05 AM

Default Re: What\'s your range?

i wouldnt push here with any 2 cards
at least 1 villian would think youre just pushing because youre half stack is about to get eaten by blinds
so they will call with marginal hands

my range would be Ax
any SC up from 56
K9+
QT+
any PP
Old 04-12-2007, 07:31 AM

Probably top ~80% of hands.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:34 AM

99% of the time you're going to get a call whatever you push with here. There's a 1% chance that because you're on the bubble the entire table may fold to 3xbb (table read dependant).Shove anything and donk the flop. You cant wait until on the BB and somebody else raises your 74o.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:33 AM

Plus this is the only time you have to accumulate enough chips to possibly steal the blinds in a few hands (although personally i think you're screwed)
Old 04-12-2007, 09:20 AM

any pair, any ace, Q8s+, basically anything slightly above average.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:36 AM

IMHO ....

At M=2, you ALMOST have to push with any two. As timex says above, about top 80-90% of hands. You will basically be all in with ATC the very next hand (unless you're a NIT), so unless you have a particularly bad hand (83o, 72o, 93o, etc)I feel pushing is a no-brainer.

If your bankroll is particularly hurting, it's OK to fold your BB and SB as well in hopes you will creep into the money (if it's the main event and you stand to cash $26k or so ... for example) but you better hope 2 people go out in the next orbit because the hand you push with is theoretically even less likely to hold up considering how little people have to call to check it down and see 5 cards (i.e. you will likely get more callers with you having fewer chips). You could go through the blinds and push UTG for your remaining $1500+ and you would almost definitely get 2 callers and you could get as many as 4-5 callers, hand dependent.

Winning is my objective here, not NITTING my way to the money. That said, I also want to do my best to maximize my chances of winning when I do push, but there's only so much you can do with only 3 BBs.

In short, unless my bankroll is on life support, I'm pushing 100% of the time I have any hand better than 93o and pushing 70% of the time with ATC.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the replies so far guys, really appreciate it.

As it was, I had 62o and I pushed, got one caller with Ax and didn't hit, but that's besides the point. If you had 62o here with this stack, are you pushing it UTG like that?

My only thought with regards to folding it was that with my tiny stack, I essentially have no fold equity, so might as well wait for the next hand which will in all probability be a better hand and get it in from the BB, regardless of other action. Additionally, would you not say that if I wait till the next hand, it is possible I will get a walk in the BB as anyone thinking of raising knows they will have to showdown a hand to win?

Just trying to think out the options, still not sure which I think is right here...
Old 04-12-2007, 11:08 AM

Having an M of 2 is always a bad spot. If I ever get to this point, I pretty much give up and just wait for a hand with a face card. I don't push 62o here simply because I know I'll get called, so I might as well wait for the next hand, which is bound to get better. Is this a winning strategy? Probably not- but at that point I know I'm dead so I'd rather get in with a face card. It just feels better [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Fortunately, I'm rarely ever in this spot because:

I pushed 62o one round earlier with M of 3. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fortunately, I'm rarely ever in this spot because:

I pushed 62o one round earlier with M of 3. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately I lost a pot against someone I only just had covered, which put me in this spot. I certainly didn't get there by being blinded down! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]