FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2007, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Ask me anything about Japan/Japanese

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although I'm sure few still think this way, and a lot thought this way long time ago, but most of the people these days don't think that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? Just look at how Japanese people think of Okinawans. And they're part of their own country!

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying Japanese people who don't live in Okinawa sort of look down on Okinawans? If that's the case, you're wrong.

In your opinion, how do Japanese people think of Okinawans?

[/ QUOTE ]
That they're uncivilized and stupid and should be a part of China or at least not Japan

[/ QUOTE ]
This is definitely not true. A lot of people even move to Okinawa from other part of Japan. Japanese people usually think of Okinawa as an island with beautiful ocean and a little bit different (not inferior or anything) culture. I was in Okinawa last spring, and I had a great time. Where did you get that idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
From when I took an Okinawan cultural history course while living there, and talking with a bunch of mainlanders.

They might think it's a beautiful island, but that doesn't mean they consider Okinawans to be a part of their culture. They don't, and they definitely look down on Okinawans quite a bit.

But honestly, I'm not going to get any deeper into this with you. I'm glad that you're excited about Japan, but half of the people in this thread know more about it than you.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do Japanese people wear t-shirts like these:

From what I could tell, the answer isn't "they're being ironic."

[/ QUOTE ]
The last time I was in Japan, no one was wearing T-shirts like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there two weeks ago and I spent a good hour on Takeshita dori and Omotesando watching Japaese people walking by wearing t-shirts with the most nonsensical romanji on them (wife was shopping with my cousins). best one i saw was a girl with an I heart (the shape, not the word) and the logo of le coq sportif. I'm pretty sure she didn't get the american slang and thought she was showing consumerism loyalty.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:44 AM

How do the Japanese feel about the (primarily) US occupation of Japan following WWII? Are they mostly thankful we set them in the right direction or is there a lot of resentment over the period?
Old 09-29-2007, 06:13 AM

what do the Japanese think of www.engrish.com ?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what do the Japanese think of www.engrish.com ?

[/ QUOTE ]
People praise me all the time how good my English is for a Japanese guy, especially my pronunciation, but I still have trouble distinguishing the difference between "l" and "r." There's no such thing as "r" in Japanese, so instead, we use "l" to pronounce things. If "l" or "r" is somewhere in the middle of a vocabulary, sometimes I have to look up the dictionary, like I just typed "vocaburary" instead of "vocabulary."
Old 09-29-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do the Japanese feel about the (primarily) US occupation of Japan following WWII? Are they mostly thankful we set them in the right direction or is there a lot of resentment over the period?

[/ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, we're happy (not 100%) with what the US did to the Japan/Japanese people after the war. I wasn't born, but from what I understand, Japanese people looked Americans as people to hate during the war, but once the war was over, they immediately changed their mind and started loving them.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why do Japanese people wear t-shirts like these:

From what I could tell, the answer isn't "they're being ironic."

[/ QUOTE ]
The last time I was in Japan, no one was wearing T-shirts like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there two weeks ago and I spent a good hour on Takeshita dori and Omotesando watching Japaese people walking by wearing t-shirts with the most nonsensical romanji on them (wife was shopping with my cousins). best one i saw was a girl with an I heart (the shape, not the word) and the logo of le coq sportif. I'm pretty sure she didn't get the american slang and thought she was showing consumerism loyalty.

[/ QUOTE ]
One thing about Japanese people is that they follow the trend. And the trend doesn't last that long. The last time I was in Japan, a lot of girls were wearing this kind of jeans. 15 years ago or so, it seemed like every other guy was wearing CK T-shirt and was showing his underwear. Talking about trends, the "cool" car to have for the Japanese guys these days are... MINIVANS!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although I'm sure few still think this way, and a lot thought this way long time ago, but most of the people these days don't think that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? Just look at how Japanese people think of Okinawans. And they're part of their own country!

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you saying Japanese people who don't live in Okinawa sort of look down on Okinawans? If that's the case, you're wrong.

In your opinion, how do Japanese people think of Okinawans?

[/ QUOTE ]
That they're uncivilized and stupid and should be a part of China or at least not Japan

[/ QUOTE ]
This is definitely not true. A lot of people even move to Okinawa from other part of Japan. Japanese people usually think of Okinawa as an island with beautiful ocean and a little bit different (not inferior or anything) culture. I was in Okinawa last spring, and I had a great time. Where did you get that idea?

[/ QUOTE ]
From when I took an Okinawan cultural history course while living there, and talking with a bunch of mainlanders.

They might think it's a beautiful island, but that doesn't mean they consider Okinawans to be a part of their culture. They don't, and they definitely look down on Okinawans quite a bit.

But honestly, I'm not going to get any deeper into this with you. I'm glad that you're excited about Japan, but half of the people in this thread think they know more about it than you.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 09-29-2007, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Soh,

Can you explain a bit about your background? Like how old are you, where did you and your family grow up, and when and why were you in japan for 3 years?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a typical Japanese I guess.

I was born in the US, moved to Germany when I was 4, went to Japanese school, moved to Japan when I was 15 I think and went to Japanese high school, and moved to the US when I was 18. My parents are both Japanese and raised me as Japanese. My primary language is Japanese.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:32 AM

Do they still have those awesome game shows where you think people could get seriously hurt?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ll2kajMH2u0